Fishing with my niece

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbstern

Reaction score
Last week, we were out on spring break. Had a chance to take my 13 year old niece out on the boat one afternoon, and then again the next morning, on Lake Hartwell. She's never landed a bass, so the hunt was on.

I started her with a chartreuse grub on a Roadrunner, which is usually reliable, not for big fish, but usually for quantity. The fishing was slow. Thankfully, she's incredibly patient. I then showed her how to slow fish a Texas-rigged worm, and she worked it for almost two hours, and was finally rewarded with a nice, 1.5lb spotted bass.

All smiles. Both of us.

It's always rewarding to see young people catch there 1st fish Whatever the species. Heck it's rewarding watching them catch fish anytime. ;)

I can't wait to take my granddaughter out. She's only 3 but I got her a practice rod & reel. She loves using it.
Barry from La.:)

I have found that the mini-cast systems work well for the younger ones, and for us older toads with a Cutie-pie spinner.

cq

Rig the younguns up with Senko's and let em' go to town. There's no wrong way to fish it, weed proof, snag proof and if there's a bass within 1/2 a mile you'll catch it (unless your name is Greg Meyer):p

Rig the younguns up with Senko's and let em' go to town. There's no wrong way to fish it, weed proof, snag proof and if there's a bass within 1/2 a mile you'll catch it (unless your name is Greg Meyer):p

First bass my daughter ever caught was a three pounder on a pink stick worm. She was only four and couldn't cast a longer rod. I threw it out and was rigging a rod for myself, she was standing on the front deck and calmly says "Dad my rod is bending." After fighting through the grass and keeping her in the middle of the deck so she didn't get pulled out of the boat, she had a chunky Potomoac River bass to start her career. Stick worms and grubs are the way to go for new bassers, very little work required if the fish are around.

Steve

pictures - WHERE's the BEEF :p Cool beans taking the youngin out ;)

Got a decent pic so she was able to show friends and family, but I don't put pics of other people's kids on the 'net. I'm REALLY conservative about that kind of stuff. It's up to her family if they want her picture posted in public.

Last edited:

Smart Azzzzzzz

Latest posts

Back