Fishing The River

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boat4life

Reaction score
Well, it's not much to brag about but my last 2 fishing trips on the Sabine River have produced 6 solid keepers. It is a challenge to catch a 14" bass on the river most days. What I'm excited about is both trips have produced a bass over 3 pounds. Normally in Texas you don't get excited about 3 pounders but it's a matter of perspective. Toledo and Rayburn are loaded with big bass but the brackish and muddy Sabine can be a challenge during the winter dealing with all the runoff from rains. The key has been fishing really slow with light line, 1/8 oz sinker, small hook, and a small black/blue craw-worm. Nice to get outdoors between cold fronts.

I sure miss it down there but I didn't fish the rivers, well I guess I should take that back, not until I moved from Beaumont TX to Franklin LA THEN I got a boat. Down there it didn't get too cold often. Use to fish the river that emptied into the bay down near Franklin LA. Then when I moved to Lafayette/Abbeville, I fished the marshes and bayous. Bass & Reds in the same place, plus catching crab, shrimp catfish was a BONUS. Fire up the fryer honey I'm coming home with a LOAD :D

That's what I like about the river, catching bass and reds in same area sometimes. I also like the fact the ramp is 5-10 mins from my house. My son in law lives in Bmt. and I've fished the Neches with him.

Latest posts

Back