Fishing Tactics This weekend's Tourney

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
Hey All, got a question for a Tourney I am going to this weekend and would like any helpful hints you may have for me :).

Background of lake & conditions:

Gin Clear man made, has some areas of Rip Rap and deep standing timber. Lake does not have a lot of plant life. Lake gets very deep and has Smallmouth & Largemouth. One hump in the middle goes from 100+ ' up to 40'.

Current Conditions. Massive draw down this summer with no rain, last weekend area got 10+" of rain in 36hours, NO B/S. Water temp was high 60's before rain, current surface temp unkown, lake is located in NW NJ. Someone just said they caught a 7.7lb LM in 60' of water.

So with that said how should I fish this lake for the tourney, I have a very good idea where the fish will be in some shallow areas. Some 3lb-4lb, but never got a limit of quality fish like this, most would be three.

Should I go deep right away? Or beat the banks and then go deep? What type of signals would you look for to decide that the fish are on a fall pattern, without wasting valuable time. Lake is electric only so cannot jump from spot to spot. I also understand that LM will outwiegh smallies for the T, but the size of the SM in this lake are considerable and may be easier to catch if schooling.

Any suggestions.

CJL

Not sure if this helps but here is a map of the lake
MC.bmp

Chris

A club member fished deep areas of the lake two weeks ago and got his fish on silver buddies . Iwould fish the timber to the left of the ram p in about 20 ft of water . The club member who is getting large fish in the lake has told me that the fish are spitting up crawdads in his livewell . By the way the Hudson sucked this weekend :angry: one of the worst weather condtions I have ever fished in . I took second place with three fish

Man those breaks in the back of the creek on either side would be an ideal spot for smallmouth. I'd work the shallows and work deeper if need be like you have indicated. Hammer the shallow brush,stickups, rocks and anything else you can find if you have cloud cover...if not: go deeeeeeep;) Use spinners for shallow and Carolina rigs off those breaks and always have a topwater on at this time. Just a cents worth from a crazyman:wacko:

Tom, Someone just caught a 7.7lber there on Sunday!!!!, near the Tower.

You went to the Hudson this weekend, :wacko:

Tom is your boat 19' or longer, I may be in Lake Mohawk next year and you will be welcome to use the lake whenever:)

Tee "aka" crazyman , the back creek is filled with thick standing timber, would you still go there? If not cloudy, how deep would fish?

With the water coming up like you said i would start sdhallow for sure. I have always noticed that when the water is higher then normal the bass get into the shallow water cover they didnt have before. If they arent shallow you can always move deeper.

A few years back i remember we had some really bad rain storms and the water was about 2' higher then normal at a lot of lakes in NH. I was actually catching smallies off peoples flooded lawn. Why they were there instead of the deeper water they normally would have been in i dont know. Curious about the new area maybe? I dont know but peopls back yards were loaded with them in about 6" of water.

Holy Schnickies! Is that the one picture with ALL that timber? Then hell yes!

Don't ever determine depth of fish on your own..let them tell YOU how deep they are;)

There is only three spots they can be...top,bottom or somewhere in between:cool:

OK Crazyman, Yes that back "leg" is all timber, I put a cricle around that hump I was talking about, what do you think

Thanks Chris for the offer but my boat is over 20 ft. Yeah we fished the Hudson this weekend. It was suppose to be a two day tournament but since I

Congrats on 2nd place, I got 2nd as well on Sunday in Mt. lake, I will have to figure out something for Lake Mohawk if I do move there

I don't see it but, anyhump at this time would be worth checkin' out. When the water cools I actually start working backwards toward deep water for LM and SM will actually suspend off the deepest points in a negative mood but, can be caught hence the "float&fly" that has become popular.

Are you gonna get out on it before the tourny?

No I can't because of the dang Budget I have to implement, you know that profession we share!!!!!!!!!:angry:

Tee - have you tried the float & fly method? If yes how long a leader

Have not YET tried it;) I've read 12 to 15 foot on a FIXED float and a 1/32 or 1/16 oz doll fly and lob the rig out and fish mostly points and bluffs during the winter at Dale. Right now those smallies will be deep but, will move up on days like today.

Love those overcast days.....bright sunny days just hurt my feelins alot:lol:

Just don't try to push yourself too much...it seems if I kinda' take a lay back attitude my mind thinks clearer and better decisions are made.

One tip on the FNF..get some Fish Dope (kinda like vasoline and garlic mixed) and smear it in the fly and make it "stream lined" like a slender shad. Also fish it next to bluffs in 20+ foot of water. It works best on days with some wind and over cast with real cold water. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah we fished a club tourny last week and got them off of wood in the shallows. Everyone who fished main lake deep stuff didn't do well. Water temp was low 70s and water had risen about 2 foot. Rain and cloulds all 4 days (2 pre fish & 2 tourny).

Donnie

Hey Donnie...heard a good:) tip. Soak the fly in Berkley Trout Bait...I heard Rainbow is the best:cool: I may get down this winter.....wanna' giver a whirl around December/January timeframe for a weekend?

Want to try another version of the FNF, wacky rig a 3 inch senko and use that on a much shorter leader (think of it as if you were useing a nightcrawler) if there is any wave or wake action this keeps the senko moveing..... Just a thought

BF

Bruce, Thanks for that tip, big oversight on my part, never crossed my mind to use a 3" Senko, I will give that a shot.

:)

Tee me and a buddy are trying to plan a trip in that time frame. Both of us are wanting to do some FNF. I will keep ya posted.

Donnie

Latest posts

Back