Fishing line

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom le

Reaction score
Question: What's everyone using. I prefer P -Line Flourocarbon but think about switching due to cost. Any recommedations. :cool:

Yozuri hybrid line. Handles like mono, but tougher and longer-lasting.

BPS XPS floro. I have also found out for the most part, you get what you pay for. BUT...I see Seguar cam out with a Red Label floro that has a great price on it.

Derek Chance

BTS / KVD Line & Lure www.rmrindustries.com

Hi-Tech Collision

Stahlman Powersports

This about covers my fishing.

Crappie: Trilene XL clear 4 lb and 6 lb, depending on cover and lure.

Trout: Trilene XL clear 2 lb (getting pretty old for this)

Bass:Topwater 12 lb P line fluoro

Worm 14-15 lb anything on baitcast

Trick worms 10 lb P line fluoro

Crankbaits, depending on lure and depth, 12 lb P line and 20 lb Spiderwire braid

Sauger/walleye:Jigs (deep) 10lb Spiderwire braid with 8lb Trilene Big Game Leader

Walleye/sauger nighttime: grubs/casting 10 lb spiderwire

Stripers: (freshwater) Trilene Big Game 15

King macs-Pier- 15 lb Trilene Big Game

Cobia 25 lb Big Game

Spanish macs 12 lb Trilene Big Game

Live bait-piers 6 lb Seaguar 100% fluorocarbon

In rocky and big fish situations I like the Big Game since it is very very abrasion resistant. I like Momoi too.

I have been using Suffix seige and elite for the last few years. I really like it alot. it casts well, ties a good knot and low stretch. Its also one of the toughest lines i have ever used. I fish in rocks alot ad it hold up very well.

P-Line for everything. 15 on my BCs and 8 on my SRs.

XPS Signature Series Mono and Flouro

Extreme Braid or PowerPro.

I have used XPS flourocarbon in the past and now use berkley 100% flourocarbon. They are both great lines, the berkley seems to be a little more manageable plus I like the green coloring. The few other flouro's I have tried were not very good for me. I also use big game for my topwater and stren super braid for frogs/toads and heavy flipping.

Been using PLine Fluro for about everything.

How long can you leave line on a shelf in the garage before you shouldn't use it anymore?

Teri....Sun and heat (ultraviolet light) are a lines worst enemies...so take a piece about 2ft long and tie one overhand knot in it....pull on it hard...if it breaks TOO EASILY then it's bad....if it's breaking at or about it's normal test...than it's okay,...if you can't break it at all...then it's really good!! Storing it in a garage will help..especially if it was in a cupboard. I've got some line that's 5-6 yrs old and it's still good....it breaks at it's specified poundage.

good point! Guys if you are not using KVD Line and Lure you need to start. Line can burn in the sun. It is the equivalent of unprotected skin in sun for 30 minutes. Line and Lure is like sunscreen. I know they are a sponsor, but I wouldn't represent a product that didn;t work. I don't fish all as much as I would like and it keeps my line like new for longer meaning I don't have to respool as often and thus saving me money.

Derek Chance

Stahlman Powersports

Hi-Tech Collision

I second the Yozuri Hybrid. Long lasting, cast well and tough. And you can usually find it at a reasonable price.

HP

On line - I would also suggest testing by the method Mac recommends IN STORE before you buy. I've had enough bad "new" spools, that I test each new spool I plan to buy in the store. When I find a good one, I buy it! Bad ones go back on the shelf. Never had a salesperson question what I was doing and several have seen me doing it.

Jim,

I totally forgot your experience with that! That happend on the hot side a few years back, right?

Carlos - you got it! It was after all my newly spooled reels came up with bad line that I started testing in store rather than on water. Thanks to my gracious fishing host who lent me a rig (i.e., you!), the day was not totally lost.

I finally decided to try fluorcarbon line, so I went to the local Walmart (closest place to buy line within 50 miles) and purchased some 14 or 15 pound test Berkley Vanish, 250 yds for about $11, fished it and caught a two pounder without any problem. That was the only fish of the short day. It felt really good so I thought I would buy a 1000 yd spool to put on a couple more reels but couldn't decide what brand to get. I decided to test what I had, in the back yard, before I bought more. The line, not the knot, broke on 15# line at 7,9, and 11 pounds, roughly. I tied on mono 14# and it didn't brake at 15#. I'd like to make the transition to FC but not at the risk of loosing fish or tackle, do I really need to step up two sizes to keep the strength? Does anyone use Seaguars?

There will be many that say they have had no problems with Vanish, but I gave it waaaay too much time and all I can say is that it is junk. I broke off too many fish, especially on hooksets (numerous knots, all wetted very well). Seguar makes one of the best FC lines on the market. I used to use it, but it cost soooo much. I swiched to BPS XPS flouro and that is all I will use. Pretty good price and zero issues. With flouro, it seems you usually get what you pay for.

May want to research Vicious as well.

Derek Chance

Stahlman Powersports

Hi-Tech Collision

Latest posts

Back