Fishing first tournament

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Davis

Reaction score
I am from Flat, Rock Alabama. I am 24 years old. I am fishing my first tournament ever this Saturday the 14th of April. I went and practiced in the area that we will be fishing this past weekend. I got out my map and marked places I caught fish. I weighed my top 5 fish and I had between 8 and 9 lbs. Do any of you guys have any advice for me as I fish my first tourament?
Thanks, Chris

Chris,
First off, as hard as it may be, try to get a full nights rest the night before. I remember my 1st tourney, nerves and excitement. In the tourney, stay focused! Don't miss subtle clues for patterns, the more time that bait is in the water, the better your chances of getting bit. And finally never quit. If the day is tough don't quit until you have just enough time to get back to the launch. I have seen tourneys won in the last 1/2 hour of fishing. Even if you have a good bag, don't quit. The difference between 1st and 2nd only has to be an oz., and that plus some can come on your last cast. Good luck. Let us know how you do!

Chris, A good night sleep is good advice so try to get that. I hope you do. My advice is to not get frustrated. Make a game plan and stick with it. The more you fish tournaments the more you will learn. On the first one, win, lose, or draw have fun and enjoy the day. Skip

Chris,....That's some good advice from Rob,...let me add something too,...don't forget to pay special attention to the "small stuff". Check your line all the time and re-tie if you feel even the slightest nick......also make sure your hooks are "sticky" sharp....Mustad Ultra-points are the best hook on the market bar none!! You don't want that winning fish getting off in the last 10minutes!! It happens....been there!! Good luck and keep us posted,..and ditto on the "never give up".....I won a club Classic a few years back in the last 15minutes of the tournament!!
Tight lines!!
Mac

Chris,....That's some good advice from Rob,...let me add something too,...don't forget to pay special attention to the "small stuff". Check your line all the time and re-tie if you feel even the slightest nick......also make sure your hooks are "sticky" sharp....Mustad Ultra-points are the best hook on the market bar none!! You don't want that winning fish getting off in the last 10minutes!! It happens....been there!! Good luck and keep us posted,..and ditto on the "never give up".....I won a club Classic a few years back in the last 15minutes of the tournament!!
Tight lines!!
Mac

Also, never overlook the little things you may learn from a good partner. Mike

Good luck Chris. This coming Sat, April 14th is MY first Tourny Open on
a lake which I have fished 3 times in 2 weeks looking for spots. This lake
is not easy, not even a lake but a created big creek. I've been told, and
from reading the responces, to make sure to have fun regardless of how
you place. Im in the mind set now not to worry bout placeing but will sure as
hell try. I'm 41, this is my firsrt REAL fishing boat, and my partner is in the
dark as much as I am. BUT...I will enjoy my self.

Heed the advise given above and most of all, have fun. This may be our first
but it sure wont be tha last. Good luck, have fun! Let us know, as I will, of
how things went.

EricB

Looks like you got good advice just pay close attention to the fish they will tell what to throw. Be safe chris and good luck. Keep the live wells full until weigh in, Billy

One more thing....win lose or draw you need to be around the weigh in for the whole tournament. The biggest thing you can do is keep your mouth shut and your ears open. You may very welll learn more in the hour it takes to weigh in fish than the 8 hours of the tournament. If you dont feel you have learned much from listening, congratulate the winner(s) and ask a few simple questions. Not detailed questions, just simple ones. Alot of guys will be open to the technique and not the area, or visa versa.

Remember that EVERY time on the lake, whether it is practice or tournament or pleasure boating, you must learn something or the trip/day/tournament is wasted.

Mini

Latest posts

Back