Fishing after a cold front?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Jeffers

Reaction score
Any advice on fishing techniques after a big cold front rolls through? It was in the 80's here thru the weekend, but high temps only in the low 60's expected for the rest of the week. I'm hoping to take my girlfriend out fishing tomorrow night, but not sure how to get 'em to bite. Any suggestions?

Personally, I would fish normally, it takes at least 3 days of cold weather to make a change. Keep your eye on the BP though.

TOXIC

I don't really like for them to bite....just nibble around my ear a little.

;>))

Really, I've had trouble with the same thing this past weekend. After temps in the 90's (still cool for Okla in August) a cool front comes through. High temp Saturday was 84 with a water temp of 81. I loved it but the bass didn't know what to do with themselves.

Harpo

These cold fronts (during the summer) have _very_ little affect on the water temps... it takes (as toxic said) several days of cold weather to make any significant changes to the temps...and a couple of degrees colder in the middle of the summer is a positive thing, right? (as compared to during the early spring, right after a warming trend)

What it does affect is the baramoter (sp?), in that you seem to always be on the "wrong side" of the rise/fall...

ALl that being said... I dont let it change my plans, or even my tactics by much... but then, I almpost always fish "finesse baits tight to cover" anyway.

(continuing on thoughts)...

IMHO, "light winds" and "bright sunshine" is more of a factor directly after a cold front, and this all deals with light penetration into the water... especially in the clearre water we often find this time of the year.

Bass, being predators, use cover and shade as ambush points, as well as for protection from the elemetns (and other predators)...

If shallow cover isnt available, deeper structure is.

Thank you, guys! I guess I'll just do what I usually do - FISH SENKOS!!!

Thanks for the advice.

TJ

Rich hit the nail right on the head! Slow way down(not always...experiment) and fish tight to tighter around and IN cover. If you have wood in the lake...go to it and Get-R-Done!

If there is no change in the water temp then nothing has changed. I have n-e-v-e-r seen a cold front that can drop water temp more than a degree or so in less than 3 days of continued cold. But......fronts also mean changes in the BP (barometric pressure) like I said above, and that is more of an instantanious factor. I am also a believer in the fact that fish don't shut off for very long under any conditions.

TOXIC

Back