Fishfinder shuts down

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Mullin

Reaction score
When I plug in my fish finder on my console mount, it will show low voltage and shut down within a few seconds. When I take the same unit and put on my bow mount, it will run fine for 5 minutes or so, then show low voltage, it will then shutdown after 3-5 minutes of operation with the low voltage warning, then shut down. I can turn it back on right after, the same message shows then will shut down again, any ideas?

You have low voltage.:p You need to make sure your batteries are fully charged, solidly wired and big enough to handle the finders. What is your battery setup and how do you have the finders wired into the system?

The depth finders should be wired directly to the cranking battery and fused at that point also. I would use no less than 14ga wire.

Be sure to check the fuse, fuse holder and actual battery connections when you inspect the wiring for loose or corroded connections. These are sometimes overlooked but can be problem areas too.

14 AWG stranded copper wire with a blade type fuse holder and all connections soldered and sealed is my recommendation.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

Hey everyone. First post here but I've been reading the site for a while now. Anyway back to the question. I had similar problems with both my units. Humminbird 798 and 788. Low voltage signal every time I cranked the motor up. 25 hp Etec on a 1448MV alum Seaark. Then after a few trips both units would shut off. My console unit actually froze up a time or two or would shut down when I ran on plane. Anyway the problem with the front unit turned out to be a bad connection at the splice. The problem with the console unit turned out to be a bad connection where the unit plugs into the base. Repeated removing and installing the unit into the base pushed the power cable down just enough to not get a good connection. I took the base apart and bent the metal prong that keeps the plug in place up slightly. No more problems. Sorry for the long reply but hope it helps.

1448 that is one of the remedies if the battery/connections/wire is OK. Another one along that same line is very slightly bending the two power cord plug pins in any direction. Do that so little that you cannot tell you did. The pins still have to line up with the little holes in the display receptacle.

Thanks Wayne. So far it's been working good but eventually I think i'll have to do as you sugested.

Something for the finder manufacturers to take note of...and I have been saying this for a long while, it's time to come up with a better system to attach and remove the units from their cable systems. Time for some out of the box thinking. After all, we take our finders off (or you should) every time we come out of the water. The pin system and pop locks and lining up the inner tabs on the connectors creates failure points over time and use. It's high time we came up with a better system. I've spent some time cussing and grunting getting the units on and off. It would be a huge leap in the market to come up with a quick connect system.....IMHO:cool:

Whats wrong with the Lowrance quick connectors? Half turn and go....the NEMA2K is the only one that has a thread.

Are you THAT lazy? lol

YES!! Lazy enough to see that if you don't eyeball the connectors right, you can bend or bust a pin without much effort. And you outta know what continued attaching and removal does to the connections. I'll wager you have worn the plastic guides and the pin connections out on more than 1 unit correct?

TOXIC, Humminbird uses a cable collector for all their connections except the Ethernet cable.

All the cord plugs are put in single block and that block is attached to the display with a simple push. There is no lining up pins or plastic guides, and no individual plug locking nut.

Of course some complain about that system too.

I agree Wayne. The cable collector on my 1198c is easy on/easy off.

The cable collector block is used for the 7", 8" and 10.4" models that have gimbal mounts.

The 5" and smaller models have the cable plugs in the mount. The display is just removed from the mount and the cables are not moved/disturbed at all, including the models that are Ethernet capable. It is called the quick disconnect mount. It takes less than 1 second to attach or detach the display completely.

Not a single unit Toxic. EVER. All of my connectors are sound, straight and free of any corrosion. As you know I remove and re-install EVERY TRIP. I did it 5 times in the past 7 days....

I see many problems with the Humminbird mounting "block". I do know when you call Humminbird with power issues (unit shutting off) the first thing they tell you to do is to spread the pins apart.....

With a voltmeter the battery should be showing 12.5 volts. If not it is low on charge and may be low on water or have a failing cell. With most electronic devices they need to see 12.2v or higher or they either do not function or they will behave erratically.

I am very protective of my 998 HB unit. Take it off boat bring inside ,keep in a case, cuddle it like a baby when carrying it around. Does anyone use any kind of protector on the electrical connection block that stays on boat? Recommendations?
brantley

ahh, just that's what I make for assumptions. So how do you guys remove those units quickly? (except the indash models)

The 800/900 series units have a thumbscrew that holds the connector collector to the back of the unit while the 1100 series units have a snap feature. Once you have that off you can either loosen the knobs and pull the unit off or release the RAM mount if you are using one.

Latest posts

Back