fish and ski

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to be less boring, here are some pics from our recent tubing time. (we have a 90 Optimax on the V175 and it worked out really well with the correct prop - in this case, a 17p spitfire). We also have a StarFire hydrofoil on the motor, but that is probably no longer needed since we switched props.

View attachment 1155View attachment 1156
I've basically got the same setup as you, what kind of gains did the spitfire 17p give you? Thanks, Bob

I've basically got the same setup as you, what kind of gains did the spitfire 17p give you? Thanks, Bob
Getting on plane and time to speed seem faster. Holding in a turn is much better with motor trimmed. (original 19p Blackmax would blow out in all but the most gradual turns with the motor trimmed at all). WOT RPM when from about 5200 to about 5600. (I generally don't run there so not sure how much that matters)

I did lose about 2mph when running WOT. (down to about 36 from about 38 but could have be loaded differently)

In general, for my purposes, I will make the 17p Spitfire (actually a 17p Quicksilver Nemesis) my go to prop from now on for this boat. (at least with this motor set up)

As I stated, I am running a starfire hydrofoil as well (was with my last prop) and I don't really think it is needed any more, but I already own it, so I figure I might as well leave it on. (does not seem to hurt anyway)

Michael 20200717_185654.jpg

Well guys,

The wife says i need to sell my pt175 and buy a fish and ski. Any advice from current owners or anyone that has riden in one. My experience so far has been to wave as they pass me on the river. I know to get the biggest motor i can. What manufactures other than treacker do you like?

thank guys
I sold my 2016 Z7 Sport last season and bought a Sun Tracker 22 RF XP3. The Z7 has a 150 ho 4s Merc and ran great. It was only rated for 5 people even though it could carry more. It ran nicely in a chop but banged a little crossing a wakeboarding boat wake. Good to fish out of and a Bimini for shade.

We recently got a 2001 188 Sport with 115hp on it for a STEAL on Marketplace. So far it's been awesome. I haven't rigged up the pylon for tubing yet, but my 4 year old loves to jump off and climb back on when he gets too hot. I had a smaller older bass boat that was fine for fishing, but as far as having my family out there with me and having options for how to use the boat, this thing takes the cake. I love it.

Attachments

• Boat3.jpg
    Boat3.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Boat2.jpg
    Boat2.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Boat1.jpg
    Boat1.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 69
Well guys,

The wife says i need to sell my pt175 and buy a fish and ski. Any advice from current owners or anyone that has riden in one. My experience so far has been to wave as they pass me on the river. I know to get the biggest motor i can. What manufactures other than treacker do you like?

thank guys
I've owned a couple of fish and skis and honestly, I was disappointed in them both. One was a Javelin and the other was a Reinell. I'm an avid bass fisherman and the smaller front deck just didn't cut it. I decided, at least in my case, it would be better to use a fishing boat to pull a tube around once in a while than have a boat that I couldn't really enjoy the fishing that I wanted to do.

I've owned a couple of fish and skis and honestly, I was disappointed in them both. One was a Javelin and the other was a Reinell. I'm an avid bass fisherman and the smaller front deck just didn't cut it. I decided, at least in my case, it would be better to use a fishing boat to pull a tube around once in a while than have a boat that I couldn't really enjoy the fishing that I wanted to do.
I agree. I almost bought a fish & ski but decided not to at the last second. A few weeks later I bought a Tracker 190tx. I’m so glad I skipped on the fish & ski. I’ve pulled a tube once with the tracker and fish out of just about every weekend.

In defense of the F/S; I needed something that I could fish from but could also carry 5 people. I don't like the short front deck but gotta live with it in exchange for the added seating. Taking the grandkids out when they visit is as much fun as fishing.

I bought an 08 189 sport a couple years ago with 150 Etec. Sold the proteam 175 with 40 horse. The 189 is fantastic!! I fish regularly and store 8-9 rods in the compartment across the back seats. Mostly 6'6" or 7'. I do loosen the spinning reel handles to fold and use rodsocks.
To solve the front deck issue I added an extension. Azec siliconed to sides of boat, clamped & no drilling, angle brackets drilled into bottom of deck extension and Azec. It is an incredible improvement.
Jim

Attachments

• 20200727_185559.jpg
    20200727_185559.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 47
  • 20200727_185534.jpg
    20200727_185534.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200727_194014.jpg
    20200727_194014.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 45
I bought an 08 189 sport a couple years ago with 150 Etec. Sold the proteam 175 with 40 horse. The 189 is fantastic!! I fish regularly and store 8-9 rods in the compartment across the back seats. Mostly 6'6" or 7'. I do loosen the spinning reel handles to fold and use rodsocks.
To solve the front deck issue I added an extension. Azec siliconed to sides of boat, clamped & no drilling, angle brackets drilled into bottom of deck extension and Azec. It is an incredible improvement.
Jim
My Javelin came with an extension like what you're showing and it worked fine, however, I still wasn't pleased with it when I laid a couple of rods down and the trolling TM, etc. it got a bit cramped for me.

In defense of the F/S; I needed something that I could fish from but could also carry 5 people. I don't like the short front deck but gotta live with it in exchange for the added seating. Taking the grandkids out when they visit is as much fun as fishing.

Exactly. It's a Fish and Ski. It's MADE for dual purpose, not just for bass fishing or it would be a bass boat. If you aren't looking to spend 50% of the time fishing and 50% of the time pleasure boating... get a bass boat. lol

yes, I agree... I really like my Nitro185 F&S, but there are trade-offs from a bass boat. My biggest complaint is the small deck. I plan on building a permanent extension on my front deck then re-carpeting the boat. I am also looking at removing the driver and passenger SKI seats, and installing plates in the floor to use standard bass seats and adjustable poles. That should reduce weight and free up more floor space. I am also thinking about removing the rear center seat that sits over the ice chest and just making it a carpeted step with flush mounted rod holders. I guess a 3/4 bass boat, 1/4 cruiser would be a better fit for me, than a 50/50 fish n ski

Latest posts

Back