fish and ski

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike chip

Reaction score
Well guys,

The wife says i need to sell my pt175 and buy a fish and ski. Any advice from current owners or anyone that has riden in one. My experience so far has been to wave as they pass me on the river. I know to get the biggest motor i can. What manufactures other than treacker do you like?

thank guys

I have a Targa, and sometimes wish for a Fish & Ski also. Nitro seems to make a nice one, but I have a hard time finding one in a showroom to look at. I believe that Pro-craft also has a nice one.

If I switch, sometime in the future, that's what I'll be getting. It will have to have a full windshield (walk thru), and the ability to put a 'top' up. We have a top on the Targa now. Keeps 'Mom' happy when the sun comes out.

Funny how we are never happy with what we have...I guess that makes the world go round. I have a Pro Combo 16 and I am looking at the TV-18 or PT-185.

Great to be an American !!!!!

Mike -

Good Manufacturers are too numerous to list! Take a look at all of the majors. Give preference to those who are represented by dealerships close to your home or wherever you will be using the boat. Try to check out the reputation of the dealer's service department.

Then, buy what suits your wife's fancy!

me!

I looked hard at Fish/SKi's (and other styles) before buying my PC175 2 years ago. I tell you something I found, I really LIKED the runabouts that fish, as opposed to the bassboats that ski. The Tahoe Q3 F/S Inboard/outboard and the Stingray 190FX were at the top of my list. Both had bigger rear decks then a lot of the 17ft bassboats (because of the I/O, the Outboard models have very SMALL rear decks). The Stingray comes standard with a front deck insert to make a decent sized casting deck. You can check out the Stingray boats at www.stingrayboats.com, they have a GREAT site where you can price out the boat with EVERY possible option right there, and their prices seen fixed like Tracker/Nitro which makes it easy for comparisons.

It all depends if you want the bassboat with a windshield and seats or the runabout for fishing. Another options is a center console bay/flats boat with a bench seat and a lot of freeboard space. Just saw a write up in TrailerBoatsMagazine for the Triumph 190bay which comes with rear jumpseats.

What every you get, make sure you get us a picture so we can all DROOL!

Mike,

I just bought a "previously owned" (sounds much better than used) Nitro 185 Sport in May. This was my first boat and the wife insisted we be able to take the family out as well (I have 2 girls ages 10 and 13). So far, I love the boat. I take the family out tubing (a blast) on Saturday along with a trip to downtown Annapolis so we can have a nice lunch. Then on Sunday, I'll go fishing or crabbing (I live near the Chesapeake Bay). Took my girls out last weekend with just me because the wife didn't want to get up at 4 am. They had a blast! My suggestion would be to look for a '99-'01 185, 188 or 288 Sport depending on how big you want. I chose the 185 Sport over other manufacturers because of the load capacity. It will hold 6 people or 800 lbs. Most others that size are limited to 5 people. This will allow us to take a friend for each daughter if they want. I have a 125 hp on mine. If you are buying new, I wouldn't suggest spending more for the 125 vs. 115. Go for the 135 Optimax or 150 if you can afford it. I did alot of research before deciding on Nitro and getting lucky to find one in my area in my price range. I paid $11,500 for a '00 185 with galvanized trailer, 125 Merc, battery charger, 67 lb. trolling motor, and about 40 hours on it. Buying new, I would have paid $19-20K. I know this was long but I thought you would like as much info as I had since I just went through the same process.

P.S. My only issue has been, where to mount fishfinder near the tight dash! I just bought a Lowrance x-51 on Ebay so I'll let you know where I end up mounting it once I do it.

Jay

I own an older f/s (1990) 175, I love it, it has evrything I need for fishing and extra seats for when the family wants to go out. The newer ones do have the bigger walk thru windshield,if you dont mind that they are a nice boat. You can alway buy a 901 and get a ski pole for it, swivel-ez make a nice pole for right around $100.

Thanks guys,

i guess i will have to look around and figure out which one i like. Hey jay... Do you ever get out to the potomac river.

How does your boat handle three footers? What is your top speed?

P.S. How much do you think a pt175 with 60 hp is worth?

Perfect condition 41.8 wot (gps) etc etc etc.?

Mike - check www.boattraderonline.com and search for your boat a year before and after your model. That will give you an idea what the open market is asking right now.

Mike,

I have a 2000 Nitro 185 Sport. I will gladly tell you my opinion on every aspect of the boat. Feel free to e-mail or call me.

[email protected]

802-893-1601

Bob G.

Oops, keep hitting the reply button before my time...lol. Mike, I haven't been to the Potomac....yet, but I do plan to. I bought the boat knowing it would be a family boat as well. Of course, the first few months the family wants to go out alot. As many on here know by now, I am not yet much of a fisherman. I go fishing in Florida with my dad in salt water, but have never been bass fishing. I have learned alot through the various web sites and hope to have a bass in the boat by the Fall. I need to find someone in the area to take me out a few times. As for your questions, I wouldn't know how it handles in 3 footers because I try not to take it out in them. At WOT, the boat goes 44-45 mph (not done with a GPS). That is plenty fast for me. Any other questions, let me know.

Jay

Jay,

your pre-mature reply problem is contageous.

I also have a 185 SF and love it but mine goes quite a bit faster than 44-45 Mph. With a fishing load and another twinky eater (200lbs) in the boat, I can run 52 or 53 mph. Jay do you have a 115 on yours and do you trim it up once you plane?

Rob

Thanks bob, i will email you when i get back from my vacation. I will be parked on route 95 south for the next two or three days with the other 6 million idiots. Jay, when you go to the potomac let me know i will meet you there or offer some tips on where to go.

mike

Mike/Rob,

Mike, I would like to meet some time at the Potomac. Hopefully, this Fall. Rob, I must admit, I haven't opened it up all the way too often but when I have it's been with a full load. Haven't really played with the trim while at WOT. By the way, Mike, I was on the Chesapeake earlier this evening and some of the waves were 3 feet. Wife got a little scared but it seemed to handle good to me. Of course, I have nothing to compare to so I'm probably not the person to ask. I will try to look you up Mike to see where you are from. I am assuming VA but I will take you up on your offer.

Jay

I have a tracker V175 combo (2012) and really like it. the newer ones are better (from a fishing standpoint) with larger livewells and rod storage, but I do really like mine. I used the ski pylon for the first time this year (pulling a 3 person tube) and it worked out really well.

I am sure there are better boats out there, but certainly happy with what I have for the price I paid.

Michael

My wife and I bought a new Tracker 2019 Pro Guide V175 Combo this past January, but so far don't have a lot of time on it because we are waiting to have the lift on our slip replaced (we're on Lake Anna in VA). The boat had all of specific features we were looking for: trolling motor, two live wells, and full walk thru windshield. It also came with a ski pylon. We got the 150 hp Mercury for when the kids and grandkids come down (once with Covid-19 is finally over). It came with the stock Lowrance depth finder, but we upgraded it to a Humminbird and moved the Lowrance to the bow with the trolling motor

As I mentioned, not much time on it yet, but hope to get a lot of hours in on it soon. So far, we love it.

i really like my Nitro !85FS. My plans include building a front deck extender plate to increase the front deck fishing space and looking to add a new Lowrance Hook depth finder at the drivers console, but I cant find a good place to mount it. I hate the idea of mounting the depth-finder out over the water, but its hard to find a good spot. Last, i would like to replace those large ski seats with plates that would allow me to use the same seats that are used on the front and rear deck. That would free up lots of floor space and probably save some weight

I have a tracker V175 combo (2012) and really like it. the newer ones are better (from a fishing standpoint) with larger livewells and rod storage, but I do really like mine. I used the ski pylon for the first time this year (pulling a 3 person tube) and it worked out really well.

I am sure there are better boats out there, but certainly happy with what I have for the price I paid.

Michael

Just to be less boring, here are some pics from our recent tubing time. (we have a 90 Optimax on the V175 and it worked out really well with the correct prop - in this case, a 17p spitfire). We also have a StarFire hydrofoil on the motor, but that is probably no longer needed since we switched props.

04791213-6BA2-4C40-B5D1-5E0D236CB051.JPGEB01AFE5-2863-4C32-847C-A9CC834451F2.JPG

Latest posts

Back