Fish and Ski Boats

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan Book

Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you out there have a Nitro fish and ski combo? My wife and I are looking at them as compromise instead of having a bass boat and a family boat. I was wondering how people feel about the amount of rod storage on the Nitro boats? They are side storage units and I was wondering how much the could hold. Also, has anyone seen a Procraft fish and ski? They have and center rod locker under the deck along with ski storage on the floor. I guess my main wants are seating for the family, fishability, and storage and was just looking for some good user reviews.

Welcome, new member. I'm sure you will find the answer to your question here. I don't own a fish n' ski so I will not make a comment, however there are several members here who do own them and should be able to help you.

Harpo

I have owned a 2001 Nitro 188 since June of this year. My previous boat was a 16-foot MonArk aluminum, but it just didn't work anymore with four kids. The one I found was a locally owned boat that had about 20 hours on the 115 Mercury motor. It does about 45-47mph with me, my wife and four kids on board and it rides pretty smooth. The fuel economy is pretty good with the 115 so far. I think it would help to have a 150, but the price I got for this boat was right. I looked at several different makes and models. I liked the Ranger Riata, but could not find a used one at a price I was willing to pay. My next choice was the Nitro 188 or 185. I liked the layout on both, but I like the extra room on the 188. I also like that the 188 is rated for up to 7 people. There is ample storage for gear even with the trolling motor stored in the front compartment. I can get about 7 or 8 rods in the rod locker(could probably get a few more inside), but it needs an organizer to keep them safer and from tangling. There is good storage in the floor for skis or kneeboards. I also like that the door is wide enough to put kneeboards in easily. I added hydraulic steering to make it easier for my wife to drive and a keel guard to prevent damage while beaching. Overall I like the 188 and don't regret the purchase. My kids have gotten to the age where they really enjoy tubing and they are wanting to ski so I will stick with the 188 for now. When my kids are grown I will probably go back to an aluminum boat (Tracker 185's are really nice) but the 188 is a pretty good compromise in my book.

Larry

Ethan, I purchased a 98 Fisher 18ft fish/ski w/ a 115Merc a couple months back after a long search. It's basically a Nitro 185 (as it is made by Tracker)as far as I can tell it is the same boat with a different sticker on the side. I am very happy with it overall. I keep 6 rods in the side storage and could fit a few more if I wanted. The floor storage is huge and has plenty of room for more rods/skis etc. The storage compartment up front has more than enough room for life jackets and what not.It works very well for me and the family as I now have seating for 5. My old TX17 was pretty cramped if I wanted to get the whole gang on board. It would be nice to have a 150 out back (max rating) but that's just testosterone talking. The 115 still gets me going right around 52 WOT with me alone and 45-46 loaded down with the crew. It handles great and has a good hole shot even with the 115. Barring a lottery win I will probably have this boat a long time as it has everything I need.

Hey guys, thanks for all of the responses. I still have a couple of questions. First of all, Larry you say your 188 is rated for 7 people but the website says 6. Is this something they have changed in the newer models, or is the website wrong. Secondly, about the rod storage. How long of rods can the locker hold, and do you just stack them in there or is there some sort of organizing system. Third, I know some one mentioned using the boat in their club. I was wondering about the livewells. Are they big enough to hold a few good size fish, and how long would you say they are? Again, thanks for all of the replies, keep them coming if you can because I could use all the info I can get. I don't see many used boats like this in my area so I want to go shopping fully loaded with information.

Use the search at the top of the page.There has been a few discussions on different types of fish/ski boats.Try different words in the search,you may find some useful information.

Good luck with the boat search.Take your time and ask plenty of questions,not only about the boat but also the dealer.A good deasler can make all the difference in the world.

Steve

I was all set to buy a Nitro 188 with a 150 EFI last year, I ended up looking at a 180 Ranger Reata and found that I could get the Ranger for $200 more but with a 150 Optimax. The thing that I like the most about the Ranger is the front deck, simply put it's huge. Before I bought I wrote Ranger and asked for the dimensions and got a response in 48 hours. I am still waiting on an answer from Nitro/Tracker Marine.

Ranger 180 Front Deck 63

The rating plate on mine shows 7 people. I have seen the rating on the website, so they must have changed it sometime after 2001. The rod storage has three plastic holes in the back for the butt of the rods. I am going to make a better organizer for mine this winter. Currently I place three in the actual holders and place the others in between them and on the floor of the compartment. I have put a 7ft flipping stick in mine. I agree with Cass about the Ranger's front deck. It is bigger and another thing I like about it better is the low sidewall. On the 188 it is about 6 inches and the Ranger is near the top.

Larry

I had a PT175 and did the family compromise thing, switching to a Nitro 205F/S. This boat has pleny of room for my family needs, rated at 7. I can store all 5 rods I use in the side compartment. The 150 XR6 will push it at 52 to 55 with five onboard.

So Cass are you a Ranger sales person or kicking yourself for buying a Ranger and hanging here to justify..

roy,

Are you serious or just kidding with Cass?

Bob G.

Hi Roy, Thanks for the complement but I don't sell Ranger boats, however, I do love my boat. I have been hanging here for over 4 years because I happen to like reading the board, I learn alot and I like most of the people here.

Whats your excuse?

Cass :)

Awww Cass you fell for the bait! I will also soon be in the same category that you are in...... let see him poke at me too :)

Carlos

The people that hang out here are my BEST customers!!...LOL

(BTW Roy,..be Careful dude....."C4" can shoot your eye out from a mile away!!)...LMAO!!

C4, yea I bit but isn't this fun. MAWAHAAAAAA!!!!

Mac, I haven't forgot that I still owe you a Rosie sticker. It doesn't do justice to your drawing.

Cass :)

Latest posts

Back