First try...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric nichols

Reaction score
Gonna try my hand at using a prop bait......any secrets?

Thanks,

Eric

Depends on what you are calling a prop bait. I've got a few that I carry constantly.

On calmer days, when there isn't a ripple on the water and they just aren't hitting a popper style lure, I'll break out a subtle twitch bait - my favorite being the Bang-O-Lure, which I don't even think is available anymore. Every time I run across some, I buy up every one I can get my hands on. It's basically a jerkbait with a small prop on it. I'll toss it past my target and then LIGHTLY twitch it. The jerkbait bill pulls it ever so slightly under water, while the tail spinner leaves just a little splash. Most fish I catch on it hit so subtly, you won't realize at first, so you have to pay attention. They just slurp it gently off the surface. Very few will crush it hard.

Other times, when I want to make some racket, I break out a Torpedo and treat it like a real one. I pull it through the water like I'm in route to sinking a battleship, and then they crush it hard, it's like the battleship firing back - good explosions on this one.

Modifications I do to the Torpedo - I take off the cup washer in the back and file an X into it lightly. Then I do the same for the prop surface that is going to touch it. When you work it for a while, it develops the same squeak that my buzz baits do (and I file the X in them the same way for the same reason), but it's intermittent because I'm jerking it and then letting it rest.

Like most topwaters I fish, I will initially throw it out and let it sit until the ripples disappear. Then I'll twitch it lightly and get into the cadence I want. Lots of my strikes happen on the initial movement after letting it sit so long.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Glenn

................the best prop bait I have ever used was the WOUNDED MINNOW...which is now being 'duplicated' in a flat version for over 20.00 on the "elite" bait sights....one of the better financial props I use is made by RIVER VALLEY CRANKBAITS...Jeff is an old friend and a very good crankbait guy who just started to make the Prop..www.RIVERVALLEYCRANKBAITS.COM.....tell him bobski sent ya....best fishes

bob szymakowski:)

The Torpedo is the one I had in mind, Glenn. I have used Pop-R topwaters with some success and I would like to try these Torpedos also. Any suggestions are helpful. Just looking at some different approaches to get bit. We have had some horrible weather, warm but tons of rain, and the fishing is tough. Clearer skies are on the way....if I can convince myself the weatherman is gonna be right.

Thanks again,

Eric

It's all in the cadence of the torpedo...let the bass tell you how they want it.;)

You wanna KILLER Topwater bait?? Try and get some of the Bagley Spin-R shads,..like the one in the top left corner of this pix......I've caught some of my BIGGEST LMB on this bait.....replace the back hook with a red treble with a feather on it or some mylar flash and you've got a topwater bait that even the most discerning supertoad CANNOT refuse! I've got several and if I had to live the rest of my life with only ONE topwater bait,..this one would get some serious consideration!! :wub:;)

Bagley.png

http://www.bagleybait.com/13.html

I use the torpedo as well. Mostly the tiny torpedo. When I cant buy a topwater bite Ill break it out. But those Bagley super Stingers look nice. Ill have to try one. Thanks MAC for the info. My favorite topwater hands down is the SPOOK (no blades)

As well as I...the baby Spook in Shad in with NO rattles produces bites when nothing else will;)

Latest posts

Back