Finally broke through and had a decent day on the water

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, our club had it's annual 'Classic' tournament on Fishing Creek in SC. I've not done well here before. Our Classic is the only tourney whereby any money at all is offered. The Club puts in $100.00, and each angler put's in $20.00. Our pot was $240.00:

$144 for first.

$ 96 for second.

I took home the 2nd place money.

Around 7:00AM, took a keeper on a Pop-R, feeding in the shallows. Finally got off the dime.

Around 9:00AM or so, I had moved to the lower lake, and was sitting in about 18 feet of water throwing a crankbait (dt-10) and bringing it out. I noticed that near shore in the shade, quite a few bluegill and bream were feeding on mayflies.

Remembering a recent article and tv show (fishing of course), I decided to move in and see if ol' bucketmouth was hanging around feeding on bream/bluegill. On the 4th or 5th cast, near next to a laydown, a 4lb 3oz LM engulfed my pop-r, and proceeded to tail dance almost all the way to the boat. Top water action, with a top water show. Man, was that fun.

Fishing became real slow after that. I went back to that same area 2 or 3 times with no luck. On the last time through, I put on a Mag II green/red worm, and put #3 in the boat. I had 7lbs 11oz, and finished about a lb out, to our best angler that had five for around 8lb, 10oz.

Everybody wanted to see the big fish.

It was HOT as Hell yesterday, especially for upper SC. It was 95-97 when we came off the water at 2:00PM. I gave away all my extra water and gatorade at the ramp while weighing in.

Glad to have the monkey off my back. Heading to W. Kerr Scott in Wilkesboro (NC) next weekend. Forecast is for 62 - 75 (hi and low), partly sunny. Will be a nice break.

:D:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::cool::cool::cool:

Tex

Way to go, Tex. I'll be looking for you in the Classic next year.;)

Harpo

Great Job Tex!!! Thanks for the call yesterday and the details, I'm hoping it will rub off!

We're back home, got stuck in Memphis last night (flight crew never showed for our flight, the last one out to Atlanta on any airlines). Got home before lunch, mowed the lawn, gonna grab a bite and a nap.

Again, GREAT job on the Club Classic!!

Tex, congratulations. Catching fish always makes tough weather more bearable and coming in second made the day even better. Keep it up! Bill, the Mad Kayaker

Nice job Tex! Perhaps running the lake looking for bluegill would have netted that victory! Pattern, pattern, pattern!

Way to go Tex!!!!

Thats a great way to get the monkey off your back.

Mini,

I tried to duplicate the pattern the balance of the morning to no avail. One problem was that the wind picked up, and many places where that would have worked, the mayflies were not 'going in the water'.

I finally looked at the situation and dedicated myself to going to a Mag II worm the balance of the day. Trouble is, I did that a little late. Picked up 1 more keeper with 30 minutes left, but probably needed another 1 to 1 1/2 hours to fill out a limit.

We only fished till 2:00PM (most tournaments this year we've fished till 4:00PM). No regrets though. Just another step forward in the learning process.

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments.

Tex

Latest posts

Back