Figure this one out! (Long)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
I went to the local Tracker/Nitro dealership last night to promote next year's rally and see to what extent they would like to be involved. Now mind you, it's under new ownership but here is what insued. I reintroduced myself to the two new owners and we began to chat. They are totally new to the bass boat industry, but have experience in power boats. After telling me that they are having a very difficult time moving inventory and that all bass boat dealers are having the same trouble, they never asked anymore about the site, or rally, other tourneys I mentioned or what I thought. Please don't read this wrong, I was there over a half hour. If someone with extensive knowledge of sales and marketing, and a firm grasp on the current bass boat market and more importantly where it's future is headed came to me with an offer to help my sales for free, I would jump all over it and pick their brain. I'm not tootin' my own horn here, but there was just a very condesending attitude put forth. Hopefully I was reading them wrong. I do know they were busy but they never asked anymore about the rally. They did mention that they have a problem ethically selling a bass boat to folks on Lake Champlain, because the water is known for breaking hulls in two. With that and the great lakes, how do any boat manufacturers sell in the northeast if they secretly don't think the boats can handle it. I just don't buy it. We all know that they are marketing to big water areas, why else would they boast "the best rough water ride" or "the driest ride" or "the smoothest". You don't need to claim that on the ponds down south. I think MOST bass boats are equipped just fine to handle the rough water, just that today every yahoo with a checkbook is buying them and thinks they're Gary Klein. And as we have all admitted every boat company has a coulple that fail. Given the industry keeps pushing boats to the outer limits, (who'd of ever thought a bass boat....the Bullet with merc 300hp, could break 100mph) but I think with the right marketing, the right boat, and attitude, someone could have one of the biggest dealerships in the whole Northeast up here. There, did any of that make sense? I'm both excited and a little concerned about the future of bass boats.... and emissions/4 strokes....regulations, that's a topic for another day. I think I'll stick to fishing!

Rob

"I'm both excited and a little concerned about the future of bass boats.... and emissions/4 strokes....regulations, that's a topic for another day. I think I'll stick to fishing!"

And with the last sentence in your post I make the statement

Be glad you are not in Calif. Every trip to the water I think may be my last with a two stroke, It is crazy out here on the left coast!!!

Sorry to hear that Mark. Hey the good news is I recently was around a camera crew that had a prototype Honda 130hp on a 20' Ranger. It was good and small and light, not to mention quiet. The exciting news is that Honda is working on a 200hp that is around the same size as the 225 out there now. Don't worry man, technology will make it possible. Future is looking bright!

Rob

Yamaha also has many models of 4 strokes, but I've only heard they have a 225 out, can't find it on the webpage though. Honda has a 225 announced on their webpage (sort of, says it's almost here.)

As the technology advances, the motors will get lighter and more affordable. I look forward to having on one my next boat in 2-3 years... Better gas mileage, lower noise, smoother running and no 2 stroke oil...
http://www.honda-marine.com

Hey Rob; Last I knew the marina just south of

Plattsburg (not Day Bros...the one by Bear

Swamp Road....by the Peru ramp)was for sale for $350k.....I'll go halves with you on it and

we'll set them straight.

here is the link to the Yamaha 225 four stroke..

www.yamaha-marine.com/eur/page.cfm?page_number=18541

Wonder what that thing will cost..15-18k

John

That's about right, John, from what I've heard. I figure the price will start to come down sooner or later. A buddy of mine, a huge Yanma fan, said about $3K more than a comparable 2 stroke. The other issue is weight, they weigh a little more than the 2 stroke. With further development, it will only get better...

Latest posts

Back