Fibreglass Hole Stripped

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Orieux

Reaction score
Have a 2006 Nitro 288. The passenger seat when I bought it was extremely loose. Upon further inspection, today, it seems the T-nuts that are submerged in the hull let go allowing the bolts to slacken. When I tried to unscrew them to see what could be done the bolts just turned freely without loosening or tightening. I finally had to hacksaw the heads off which of course made the rest of the bolt fall into the great unknown. Now that I have the seat off I have a question. What the heck do I do now to reattach the seat to the floor? I was thinking maybe them toggle anchors? What do you guys think? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'd use fiberglass matting and resin and build up the area under the original hole, filling the original spot completely in. Work slowly and carefully, building up the area correctly. Let it completely dry and then drill a new hole for the appropriate sized stainless steel screw.

Do not use toggle bolts. I've never seen a stainless steel toggle bolt, and if it ain't stainless, I wouldn't use it as a fastener in a boat. Toggle bolts generally do not have a strength rating that would be anywhere close to sufficient.

To do it right, it's not going to be quick and easy - but the results will be worth the time and effort.

All the best,

Glenn

You could go to the local hardware store and get a rubber grommet to put in the hole. Or you ask them one of those bolt/sleeve thingies .... whatever they call that bolt/part combination where the "nut sleeve" fits thru the hole.

I'm with Glen. Heres another thought borrowed from my gunstock work. Put a parting compound such as "PAM" or even light grease on a new stainless T Nut embedded in resin. When set up back the screw out. Should have a nice thread hole. Works on a rifle stock.

fatrap

Thanks guys. Well I fixed it using Glenn's suggestion. Built up holes with fibreglass repair and screwed back down with stainless screws. Nice and secure now. Thanks again.

Thanks I have had the same thing happen to my boat. I have 3 holes to fill.

Latest posts

Back