Fiberglassing etc....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Forston

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 1993 Nitro 180FS, started with a small project and turned into something big....always does! Anyways, I had waterlogged foam in the bildge area which I removed. While sanding glass and paint, I have found many flaws that have me up to under the drivers seat now. Rotted wood and thin glass etc...I am almost done sanding and beginning the reglassing project and have a ton of questions, I've never glassed before. Hopefully I can find a glass expert to help me out. All my wood is dry, some decay...yes but dry. I am thinking of using "Git Rot" first on some of the wood. What do you think? Should I use laminating resin and then finish resin? I plan on building it up a few layers. So the first layers in laminating resin and the final coat in finishing resin? Polyester resin or epoxy? Which ones are most boats built with because I heard they are not compatible? I have more questions but enough for now. Hope a glassing guru responds!

Far be it from me to direct someone away from this site and I hope someone has an answer for you but if not, there is a board over on Bass Boat Central dedicated to restoration and they are pretty good. Some have rebuilt boats from the shell up.

TOXIC

I will thrid that forum on BBC.

I sometimes go over there just to see what guys are working on. Some of the projects on that forum have turned out amazing. As a guy that isnt afraid to tackle almost any project on anything im sometimes in awe of the stuff those guys do.

I'm tackling a fix for a 2" crack on mine...gotta get to the welder on Friday so it'll be FISH ON this weekend;)

Thanks guys! There is a ton of info over there on restoration projects, hopefully I won't need to split it:unsure:

Latest posts

Back