Fiberglass repair

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Blankenship

Reaction score
Got under boat last night to make sure the correct size keelshield would right and found something I didn't want to see. At the very bottom of my keel there was a good size scuff where I had scraped against something and didn't know it. As I looked at it closer it looks like it is actually rubbed off all the fiberglass. There are a couple of pen hole sized that looks like it goes all the way through. It looks like black material of some kind but doesn't look like carpet. Is that a middle layer between 2 layers if fiberglass. I have noticed my bilge gets sone water in it after a long day on the water but didn't think about a leak. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Can I just buy some fiberglass repair kit and fill in the gouged spot. The hole spot ain't hut about 6" long and only a couple of pin holes in it or do I need to take it somewhere. I am gonna put a keelshield on it as soon as it us warm enough. All help is needed. Thanks

Or could I just put the keelshield over it. Would it still hold up.

Patch it, cover it and forget it!! Marine Tex or something like that will work just fine. If the Keelshield will cover it, that's a plus!!

TOXIC

Would the epoxy or putty work the best. There are several different kinds. What would be best?

travis,

redpeat after me... marinetex... marinetex....

simple to work with and very forgiving.

Sorry guys. I thought that they had different stuff. The brand is Marinetex but they also have the putty that is called that. The epoxy is still Marinetex but has a sub name. Sorry. I found everything at the boatstore.com cheaper then anywhere else. The keelshield is about $20 cheaper there.

Latest posts

Back