fed up... sent this letter to my US senator

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Munaretto

Reaction score
Senator Obama,

You may not remember me, but we have met on a couple of occasions. I am the former co-chair of a subcommittee of Mayor Richard M. Daley's Council of Technology Advisors. I also served on the Gore 2000 host committee in Chicago, and was an active contributor to the Democratic Party during the last election.

I would like to suggest legislation that would be highly regarded by the people of the United States as well as frustrated constituents in the State of Illinois.

In today's economy, cellular phones are a prerequisite for successfully conducting business; and also a necessary convenience for connecting families. We pay good money -- at times hundreds of dollars -- for this tool. Constituents pay for this service expecting to be able to make and receive calls whenever and whereever it fits their needs. Instead they are met with unavailable networks, sporadic cellular coverage, dropped calls, distorting echoes that make conversations worthy of a third party translator, and a myriad of other issues.

When these issues occur, there is no recourse for the consumer. We are charged for minutes used on calls that fail due to a poor infrastructure, are locked into contracts with companies like T-Mobile whose metropolitan Chicago infrastructure is so poor that it is an unviable business tool, and have only two choices - live with it (or die by it), or pay exorbitant fees to cancel the contract.

I submit that the continuance of these issues are to the economic advantage of the service provider, resulting in increased profits and proliferating an attitude that things are "good enough" with respect to the infrastructure in place and services provided.

I hereby recommend legislation that exposes the extent of this issue, protects the consumer, and creates an incentive for these corporations to invest in improved technology.

My recommendation is to require:

1) Cellular phone service providers to report on monthly bills to consumers and businesses all minutes used in which a call was dropped, lost, failed, recieved a network unavaible error, or disconnected for any purpose other than the explicit action of the consumer to end the call.

2) Not charge for these minutes that were the result of the companies failure to provide service. Further, to reimburse consumers with plans based on an aggregate number of monthly minutes as a percentage of total minutes used versus the monthly cost of service.

3) Publicly available reports of dropped calls by metropolitan area, including at a minimum number of calls that failed, percent of calls that failed, and percent of customers who experience 1, 10, and more than 10 calls dropped on a monthly basis. This information should be available to protect the consumer and to ensure an informed decision by the consumer.

4) A worthy alternative would be the establishment of a federally mandated Service Level Agreement which mandates a certain percentage of calls and / or minutes successfully provided by the service provider which must be met or they can not charge anything for the month. This is a common practice in other industries.

The implications of a bill that mandated the above actions are significant.

For the consumer, it:

1)Represents the first time that a decision can be based on quality of service versus price, brand awareness, and product availability.

2) Provides a mechanism by which a consumer can fairly and impartially judge between alternative service providers.

3) Ensures that consumers are provided with an increasingly important service in our country, but pay fairly based on the quality of the service provided.

Further, I believe that a bill of this nature will result in significant investment by service providers; and further I submit that this bill will create value for service providers, including:

<

Good points Dave but, make some kind of legislation to control the idiots driving out here on the road talikng on THIER CELL PHONES!

I mean THAT is a MAJORPISSER for me.....I dunno how many idiots have almost caused me to wreck because they were too busy TALKING and NOT DRIVING! :angry:

You wanna' talk ? PULL OFF THE ROAD!

AND ANOTHER THING....I don't wanna' here anyone's conversation while standing in line, in a theatre or anywhere else for that matter. Do people really think others can't here them ?

I think these cell phones are the pits...I don't use one, want one, need one and have gotten along fine without one. They may be covenient but, I think it's invasion of MY privacy!

Just a cents worth......

I'm off the box now:wacko:

Im with you Tee my wife got msd at me yesterday at doc office because some one was talking on phone and I made a remark about not wanting to hear what she had to say loud enough for her to hear but it worked she left and went outside

JD

David, it sounds like you're having a lot more cell problems than I have experianced here in Okla City. I have been with AT&T untl recently when Altel bought them out here. I plan to switch to Cingular as soon as my contract is up if not sooner. The contract with the provider is the issue I have. Even if the provider is not giving good service you are still locked in with the provider and forced to put up with their crappy service.

Tee, my man, give me a break. I'm on my phone all the time. I couldn't do my job without it. I can't imagine going back to the old days with the pager and then waiting for the crack dealers to get off the pay phone in order to call a client. I used to have to play phone tag with a client sometimes for days before I could reach him. I can also do my prospecting right out in the field instead of having to sit down at he desk in the morning or afternoon. Many times I can call a prospect and meet him 15 minutes later on the job. I do understand what you mean about people driving while talking on the cell however, I use a hands free speaker phone in the car. I can run down the road and carry on a conversation with no more distraction than if the person were sitting in the seat next to me. I do pull over if I have to take notes or look up something. One more thing, what's the differance in listening to someone carry on a cell phone conversation and two people standing next to you talking? OK, one more thing...you wouldn't think that cell phones were so useless if you or your wife were stranded on the side of the road or in an accident and needed to call for emergency help. I believe that they definitaly have their place even though thoughtless people do abuse them, but that will happen no matter.

Harpo

Your perogitive Harpo...They may have a place...It's just not where I am;)

And if someone is standing next to me talking that loudly...two can play at that game and they don't want to get in a pissin' match with me because I will win:lol:

I think my point is really more about respect than getting a job done:wacko:

I'll never be without my cell anymore!!! Last year (on Good Friday) my wife and daughters were going up north for the weekend to visit her parents. I was on the Det. River fishing. I had only been on the water for 1.5hrs (1030am) when I got a call from my wife. They had been involved in a roll over accident and she was calling from the back of the ambulance while they were on their way to the hospital...."Can you meet us in Saginaw ASAP,..we've had an accident and I'm calling from the ambulance?!", she said.

"WTF?!...Heck yes I'll get off the water now and be up there as fast as I can,....is everybody okay?!"..."Julie's cut pretty bad, the car's totalled, but Jamie and I are fine.....we'll see you when you get here!". I told my buddy who's boat we were in,.."I gotta rock man,...I'm sorry as hell we gotta go,...but I need to get to the hopsital in Saginaw ASAP,...wife and kids were in an accident!" So we loaded the boat and he took me home (another 50min drive). I got my truck, and drove like a madman up to Saginaw. Got there when the Dr's were just finishing up stiching up Julies hand...58 stitches!!:wacko:

Now,..imagine if you will.....no cell phone,...no way for her to get ahold of me....I would've fished all day,......maybe got home @ 4-5pm only to get THAT message on the answering machine?!:angry::( They would've had no way to get home until I would've gotten up there at 6pm and they would've sat in a hospital all day waiting for me to get that message!!

From that moment on I knew,....as much of a PIA they can be in public places,....instances like that make it all worth while!! I will NEVER be without my phone when I go fishing or hunting!! They can be LIFE SAVERS!!!

Carry on,...

Mac

Having worked for a few years in the Cell Industry (GTE Wireless and Verizon Wireless) I have a LOT of opinions on this topic, most of which I'll keep to my self.

But.....

Sorry dave I don't agree, the Libertarian in me says we don't need any more government involvement in private industry. If your carrier provides bad service, then do what i've done in the last 12 years..CHANGE CARRIERS!! I've taken no longer then a 1 year contract ever year, and have changed at least evey other year for the best price, phone, quality and availability. having worked for 2 of the largest companies, it KILLS their profitability when folks leave. The average cost per month for the first year is like $32/month to break even on a customer, so if you have a basic $20-30/month plan and LEAVE it costs THEM $$. Take your business else where is my suggestions.

For Tee - I agree on loud/overheard conversations in public, I too like to just make similarly loud comments about their conversation!! LOL

I have had a sell phone since 1992, got the first Motorola flip phone, wife had a HUGE bag phone same year when I started travelling 5 days/week and she was alone in Houston.

I've had similar calls like Mac in the last few years, both my wife's accident in the van when she had Noah, and 2 years ago when my mom totaled my Wagon with Eli in the car. As well as Beka calling from the side of the highway on the way to pick up Noah from school with Eli in the car with a Flat and she could NOT figure out how to get the spare out.

Like any new technology it needs to be integrated into our lives politely and courtesly.

Trep

Sure their lifesavers Mac... I agree on that point:huh:

BUT, it's like anything else..People will figure out ways to abuse and misuse it.

Anything good will always be abused ...just the way it is.

I guess I don't really have a problem with the cell phones....It's the inconsiderate SOB's in the world that think they are special for some reason or another and implied rules do not pertain to them.

Like I said it's called,"respect":angry:

Cell phones don't annoy people....people annoy people. :lol:

There is technology that would block the cell phone signal in places like theaters, hospitals, and resturants, ect. That would be OK if it could just force the phone into a silent ring mode. The most annoying thing about the rude people with their cell phones is the stupid and too danm loud ringers.

Harpo

Whhhaaaaat? Couldn't hear you...Someone in my office was using their cell phone:lol:

I was in line at the market here the other day....guy turns sideways and says."Hello"?

I say,"Hello..Do I know you"?

He turns to face me and I realize he's on a cell phone....He just looked at me funny...So I looked right back at him crosseyed and said,"Didn't know ya' was on the phone there Vern"!

Thought the guy was gonna' hang up on his friend from laughin' so hard:p

I personally like having a cell phone, i find it to be a very useful device. But like Tee i cant stand it when people are on the phone in line or at a restraunt etc, and dont even get me going on ringtones. I make sure every phone i get has vibrate on it. What really gets me is the walkie talkie feature on the nextel when people are using that with the speaker turned up as high as it can go. Very annoying when im sitting in a restraunt trying to eat a meal and enjoy time with my friends/family etc.

The ones that really make me laugh though are the ones at work that are on thier phone when in the bathroom on the toilet. I feel in that situation the toilet needs to be flushed at least 5 times to make as much noise as possible.

Some people need to learn that there is a time and a place for everything...

You know what I really hate.....

People on the Nextel walkie-talkie phones. :angry:

I don't run into too many any more but it used to be so annoying.....

Hate to be the voice of dissent, but I personally believe that this is a State Rights issue - at bes, and not a US Goverment issue. Also, there are probably enough laws on the books now. Given they are required to do everything that is asked above, guess who is ultimately paying for it. Us.

My own personal suggestion, get a better carrier. I went through 3, before finally getting one that gives me great service - Verizon.

Tex

I use Verizion also seems to be better but I hate phones.....all phones.....I feel like Al Bundy:p

Ahhhhh Technology...ain't it great!:lol:

And ain't it a PIA too!:p

Just cause tech's are getting better doesn't mean they are not creating more problems along the way :wacko:

Agree Tee, as I said above "Like any new technology it needs to be integrated into our lives politely and courtesly." and (sorry to disagree with others) we don't need no stinking goverment interfering with the free market on this one. Its like the states that are putting "no cell phone use in a car" or "hands free only cell use in a car" bills/laws into place. There are already (come on Law Enforcement dudes back me up on this) LOTS of laws in place that cover reckless driving, endangerment and such. we do NOT need a new law everytime a new thing is invented/created.

If I swerve because of my cell phone, screwing around with my CD player/Radio, putting on make up( for the ladies, not me), reading the paper, disciplining kids in the back seat and so on, then pull me over and ticket me - Period

Trep

I say we trash all Laws and start over! What y'all think?:lol:

I want a law that states: "There shall be no more reporting of the mis-adventures or motovations or hopes, prayers or plans of the 'runaway bride'. Such reporting shall be punishable by Tee flailing you to death with a cell phone charger cord".

:lol:Harpo

Amen Brother Harpo, AMEN. And you don't even live in Atlanta where this is on EVERY paper, radio and news channel!!!

I second that.I just can't figure out why the story is still all over everything.....

Maybe Neil Boortz was right...Ugly people get killed and turn up missing every day,but you never hear about them..:eek:

Oh My GAWD - Steve you listen to the High Priest of the Church of the Painfull Truth?? Mighty Whitey?? The Talkmaster?? Royal's bruthafromanothamutha!!!!!

He ROCKS!!!

I did untill they replaced him with Limbaugh.:angry: a few month ago.

I would always listen to Glenn Beck then Boortz.

I like those two because it's not just politics day after day.Other than those two,,,

and Stern,,,I hate talk radio.

I propose a law to get rid of the last fifty laws passed. Next week, I'd like another helping of the same, if you please.

I agree with Harpo when he says that listening to someone on a cell phone is no different than listening to two people talking to each other. I still don;t like it though.:) AND I really hate those Nextel phones or whatever they are where you can hear BOTH sides of the conversation. I will say something to the people in that case.

Bill

Got one better....

Just give em' a BOOT TO THE HEAD!:lol::p

Well Well Well, look who woke up our illustrious leader!! I'm with ya Rich, lets take it back to the first few amendments in the US Constitution and start again. We have WAY too many laws (local, state and Fed) that are not enforced now, let alone relevant today.

Problem is there are TOOOOOOOOO many lawyers in Congress, not to mention state and local governing bodies. Do you think they will ever pass a law limiting the number of lawyers in the House and Senate? Which brings me to my favorite soapbox...CAMPAIGN FINANCE REFORM. I don't believe the people will ever be properly represented until we figure out a way to stop big business, big money, and special intrest groups from buying our Senators and Representives and the White House.

Harpo

Latest posts

Back