engine noise

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott klaverkamp

Reaction score
Just a couple curious questions. Am I supposed to be able to hear lifter/valve noise at idle? (2011 200 pro xs) Also, why is the engine shaft housing below the cowling down to the cavitation plate turning a white color (kind of like calcium buildup or something)?

Tried to scrub it off, but wouldn't budge. Tried denatured alcohol,mineral spirits,mr. clean magic eraser to no avail. Only been in the water about 10 times. Thanks for any help.

You have a two-stroke, and there are no lifters or {conventional} valves. There are "reed valves" however. ALL of the Opti's of 3.0 litre displacement have a "tick" and a "knock" of sorts at idle. Is the problem you are describing NEW or is has been there since day one?

I'd like to see a pic of the driveshaft "white" area......;)

The white residue is a water deposit (lime) created by the water hitting the hot mid section of the engine. I use Sno Bowl bathroom cleaner to remove it. Any product that removes lime will work.

Been there since new, Bob. Thought it might be normal, just needed to be sure. Thanks.

Won't get to the boat till tomorrow. I'll try and get a pic of the white area. In the meantime I'll try the toilet bowl cleaner.

Latest posts

Back