Email From Bill Dance Outdoors

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass Caldwell2

Reaction score
I sent an email (see below, read first) to Bill Dance Outdoors and got a very personal reply. It's just good to know that even though BDO now is a huge outfit, they take time to address us little people. Bill Dance is a legend and has left a huge legacy behind him; he's a true class act!

Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 3:34 PM

To: Caldwell, Greg C TSgt 363 TRS/TTMB

Subject: Your email to Bill Dance

Hello Greg and thanks for you email to Bill Dance which I am answering for him.

Yes, we well remember your grandfather, Paul Hogg. I say "we" because as the producer of Bill Dance Outdoors (FOR 35 YEARS NOW) I was there at the time as well, and I'm also a native of Reelfoot. In fact, I'm who introduced Bill to your grandfather.

Unfortunately, we weren't filming when your granddad went out with us... it was in preparation for some other event or purpose which neither Bill nor I can remember the exact nature of, but I want to say it was checking out the lake in preparation for a visit there by the governor of Tennessee. I went fishing with your grand dad and his friend Sammy Applewhite a few times and he knew some of my family there, all long gone now.

I am a mixed blood Cherokee Indian whose paternal grandfather came from the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma to Reelfoot during the depression years (1930s) to manage the old Choctaw Planting company farmlands near Phillipy on the NW side of the lake.(see www.cherokeeproud.com) That's where I was born in 1941. My maternal grandfather, Paul Argo, also a mixed blood Cherokee, was a carpenter who lived at Sheeps Ridge for many years and later in Tiptonville. He also guided some on the lake and the Miss. River nearby , but mostly duck hunters, and my uncle Tom Frank Argo (his son) was the maintenance supervisor of Reelfoot Lake state park until his death in the mid 1970s from cancer when he was in his mid 50s. He is who introduced me to your grandfather and that is also how Bill Dance met your grandfather.. . .thru me!

I get back to Reelfoot to eat at Blue Bank every now and then (owned now by Mike Haynes) but all of my relatives are gone from there now except one. She's 90 years old but still witty and one of my all time favorites... (Abigail Rice Chadwick Hyde), long time historian of Lake County. . .lives in downtown Rigley)

We haven't done a film down there now in about 4 years but possibly will again sometime.

In any case, thanks so much for writing. It's always good to hear about older days and friends. Bill sends his regards and I'll think of you next time Im hogging fish down at Blue Bank.

FOR BILL DANCE AND STAFF:

Tony Mack McClure, Ph.D

Executive Producer

on

434 Distribution Parkway

Collierville, TN 38017

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 5:04 AM

Subject: Question For Bill

Sir,

If you could, please pass the following question on to Bill for me.

Bill,

I was told by my family that my late Grandfather (Paul Hogg) fished with you on Reelfoot Lake, TN sometime in the 70s. My mother said she couldn't remember if it was taped and aired or if he just fished with you. He was a well-know guide at Reelfoot. I realize this has been many of fishing trips ago for you but I thought maybe the odd name of Hogg might stick out in your mind. If it was taped would it be possible for me to buy a copy?

If it would create a lot of work for your people don't worry about it. I'm an Avid tournament bass fisherman and it would be a treasure for me to have that tape.

Thanks,

By-the-way: GO VOLS!!!!!!!!

//SIGNED//

GREG C. CALDWELL, Technical Sergeant, U.S. Air Force

Instructor, Munitions Appr

Hey Greg - Not to boost the thread but noticed that you were at Sheppard AFB. I was in tech school (computers) back in '67 and have fond memories of the base. Do the young'uns (E-1s) still go up to Okla to get drunk? I think it was Lawton?????

Man Greg, that's pretty darn neat.. I feel sorry for you that the fishing trip wasn't taped. what a treasure that would have been.

I tend to get a little angry when I hear people bashing Bill Dance, ie; he fishes out of his own stocked pond, etc... People should go back and look at his fishing records and think about what he has done for the sport.

Uncle Billy

That really is neat. Something to keep in the family scrapbook.

I like ol' Bill. He's full of it most of the time but you gotta admit that the guy knows how to fish. I have Tivo record all of his shows so somethimes I'll sit down and watch 2 or 3 of them at a time. Never fail to learn something and get a laugh or two.

Harpo

- Uncle Billy: I to hate when people bash Bill because he does not always fish private like. He just did a show on Lake Gibson this year which is a lake fished by many anglers and he still caught big fish in November, and like he said he does shows on Reelfoot Lake, which is a tourist area and get heavy pressure.

- Bill in VA: Wichita Falls is a ton different now than when you were here. The population topped 100K in 2000, so there are plenty of drinking establishments and the young Airmen don't need to go far. You'd be surprised if you saw how big WF is now.

- McFish: Small world! If you grew up around Reelfoot, I'm sure we know some of the same people. I grew up at Reelfoot, then moved to Union City. What service are you in?

Take care,

Cass from TN

He's one of my FAVORITE fishing personalities too.....mini took this pix for me when we were at the Bassmaster's Classic in Feb. I'll get him to sign it for me the next time we're at the same place. He's deffinitely a fan favorite.....his autograph lines are always the longest!!

Bill&Bill.JPG

Latest posts

Back