Electronics

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike mcmenamin

Reaction score
I am finally pulling the trigger on a new tracker txw175 with a 75 hp. I would like to know what is the best bow and console units available for a reasonable price ($400.00 to $500.00).

thanks Mike

Any of the three: Humminbird, Lorance, or Garmin are good. They all are reliable. You should go to a display at BassPro or similar store and spend some time with each company's units. Then make a decision based on what you like versus what you can afford.

I personally thought Garmin was easy to navigate and seemed the most user friendly to me. I bought a Striker vivid 7sv and 9sv. I have the 7 at the wheel and the 9 on the bow. I have yet to use them on the water. I am still getting my boat put back together from a year long renovation.

Good luck on finding what will work for you.

I was happy with Lorance for 12 years, have birds on new boat. All will work well, get which ever you can make work with your budget.

One thing you will learn fast is that 4 or 5 hundred doesn't get much! Do your home work to get the most out of your money. All units are great now days, and the more you want the unit to do the more it costs. I like Hummingbird because they do make a lot of units at different price points. Always get the extended warranty to protect your investment!

Perhaps there are some good deals on past models that would be normally above this price point. I've seen some big outdoor retailers discount heavily on older models or during special sales events that will be coming up. I'd also consider used as someone might be upgrading and willing to sell used but newer models for a discount.

May want to get something that communicates easily with existing equipment if that is important to you.

You need to be honest with yourself about how you plan to use your electronics based on the type of water you fish & your experience. I have a Helix 7 MSI & 9 MSI+ on my console & a Helix 9 MDI+ & 10 MDI+ and MEGA LIVE on my bow. I live by my electronics but it's been my experience that most causal fisherman buy way more electronics then then ever end up using. And unless you plan to get MEGA LIVE a G3N unit is fine, you don't need G4N. Something like a Helix 5 or 7 G3N or G2N MDI may be all you need but you're still looking at discount places that are selling the discontinued models or refurbed or used. Contact Russel Marine as they sometimes have trde-ins for sale are good deals

I just picked up a Garmin Echomap UHD 74SV for $600 ($300 off) yesterday. But it looks like BassPro has already removed that sale from their website. Glad I pulled the trigger on it quickly!

Your new boat will come with a Lowrance Hook 2 5" Split Shot, which means regular 2D sonar and Down Imaging. Something in your price range+ would be a Hook2 7" Split Shot along with preloaded lake maps. It would be a simple mount and plug in, without having to run a new transducer cable and power cable. You then could mount the transducer that came with the new unit to your trolling motor and mount the 5" unit at the bow.

I had a Hook 2. The transducer was so long, it snapped in half the first bit of debris I ran over.
Switched to a Humminbird.

Latest posts

Back