Electrical short circuit

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bypass

Reaction score
I couldn't figure out why my RPM gauge stopped working and now I know. The two wires that go to the engine short circuited. Talk about a ugly melted mess. I got them separated and taped up and now it works good as new. Live and learn. Next time I know what to look for in case something like this happens again.

There's a reason it short circuited, be sure to check stator, rectifier, switchbox etc for any signs of distress or you'll be frying more than just wires. I myself wouldn't use any wire that has shorted once, its just asking for more trouble later.

I'm not sure of your model etc but many Tacho's are fed by the rectifier and if that fails, you have unregulated voltage that fries wires and starts very expensive BBQ's, I know, I had one a few years back and the first symptom was the the Tach started fluttering and going crazy, stopped the boat chacked the wires behind the Tach etc, no probs and thought I had a faulty Tacho, so much so I went and bought a new Tacho on line but before it arrived, the next day I'm out and boat is going fine then it starts missing, I pull up and Wham, bush fire!!!!

Yikes!!!!! I better take this thing to a mechanic then. Thanks for the heads up guys. Fires on the water are no good.

After doing some research I discovered that there was a recall on this engine for this exact problem.

Latest posts

Back