Electrical problem!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rus stevens

Reaction score
Recently purchased a 2001 Pro team 185 and Im having a problem I hope someone can answer. I installed a front fishfinder a month ago and I recently noticed a ticking sound coming from the top of my trolling motor when I turn on my front fishfinder. Im certain its wired correctly, including the ground wire. When I got on the water this morning I noticed my boat cranking as if the cranking battery was going dead. Later that day my buddy in the back of the boat noticed a ticking noise. After further inspection I realized we would only here the tick when the rear fishfinder was on. I think this is the reason my cranking battery is draining. What is this problem? This boat is killing me! First it leaked, now this. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

I noticed a ticking sound that was emitted from my transducer on my 400SX when it was out of the water. My understanding is that is the signal sound that it creates when reflecting off of an object. Next time you pull it out of the water, check and see if you hear the sound again. If on parked on your driveway, it would be making the sound when it stikes the concrete.

Sounds like maybe one one of of your depth finders is on contstantly. I would check that.

Russ is there a interior light on the side of your console, that you have top activate by lifting the little shutter on the outside of it? Make sure that you aren't brushing up against it and turning it on. I had this problem with my 99 185, I just took the bulb out and no more problems.

I first became concerned about this problem when I noticed my cranking battery seemed weak. When I turned the engine over the screen on my fishfinder would kinda go out for a second. Maybe my cranking battery needs charging. I have only had the boat since July and guessed the battery would last awhile.

Russ, I had the same thing happen to me, when I turned the key to start the engine my fish finder would dim and finally turn off because the battery wasn't charged enough to turn over the engine and power the electronics. I had my battery tested at Auto Zone and they said the battery was fine but needed to be charged. Charged the battery for about 10 hours and bingo! Haven't had a problem since I charged the cranking battery. Also, I noticed when I trimmed the motor up or down it didn't seem to move as quick. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back