Electrical connections - wives tales uncovered

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
I've read the following (paraphrased below) on several posts, and thought I would clarify something.

'Don't use the crimp connectors. Solder and shrink wrap them, it's better and will last longer.'

Sorry to dispell this wives tale, but nothing could be further from the truth. Now, having said that, I need to give the explanation.

First, the solder job that most will do, will be poor to start with. Wires with insulation on them are not designed to be soldered into place. Most people either have a soldering iron that is either too big, too small, too hot or not hot enough. Also, most people will not know how to properly solder a good connection.

Most all wiring on automobiles, trucks, electronics, boats, etc., have crimped electrical connections. Having said that, what you do need to do is match the wire to the connector, and use a decent crimping tool - NOT a pair of pliers. You can buy a basic crimping tool at the HDW store for less than $10.00, along with a selection of connectors.

And before anyone starts hurling stones my way, I've been in electronics most of my near adult/adult life. In addition, I worked for AMP for three years, where I learned much more than anyone would want to know about crimp technology.

If you solder those wires in place, and put shrink tubing on them, it's almost certain that you are going to get POOR performance from the connection, and increase the risk of an electrical failure.

Get the right tools and equipment and do it right. And yes, crimp connections can fail also, if not properly stress relieved (big problem), or a poor application of wire/connector.

Stepping off my soap box . . . .

Tex

Tex,

Let me start my telling you my experience with with crimp connectors. every one i have ever seen has failed in a marine enviornment. i have had to replace tons of them on my nitro because of corrosion problems. i had the same problem with my champion. for whatever reason the factory stuff corroded bad. in the last month i have had every pump in my boat stop working because nitro put blade connectors in the lines and they corroded so bad that no current would pass thru. I have been working on boats and cars for years and soldered( i know how btw) many connections and i have never had a solder/shwinkwrap job fail, not once. i started using the solder method on the advice of some pretty bright electrical engineer's ( Phd's). Im not saying crimp connectors are bad and should never be used, i have noticed there seem to be two types good ones, and cheapo ones. i prefer not to use any because my experience with them has been less then positive.

I agree with Tex, use good quality components and a good crimping tool. Then wrap connection in rubberized electrical tape (again good quality) and the connections are going to last. Forever? Nothing lasts forever. I have had connections last 8-10 yrs. thats good enough for me.

Dave

I have to agree with T.T. on the basis of making good connections with a soldering iron. Soldered joints have been disallowed on building wiring for years because the joints heat up and fail if not properly made. If the joint is in a wet location I would recommend shrink wrapping over the splice connector.

Gene

I have been replacing connections on my 2001 Nitro. When i do i tint the wires, crimp the connector on, and shrinkwrap. I am not sure about the corroding thing though. I am a weekend electrician, so i might be doing the wrong thing, but i doubt it. I agree with using a crimper would greatly help most weekend boat mechanics from having connections coming loose, but I would honestly like to know how a crimp and solder job will impair electrical capacity? Maybe i did not understand the statement.

On another note, i have heard of a liquid shrink wrap, or insulate for wires. Looked for it but could not find it. Does this exists?

I do both. Anything that I think is going to get wet in the normal course of things is crimped and then a rubberized liquid sealer is applied to keep out the water - shrink tubing doesn't always keep out the water. Make sure you use only marine grade wire and not cheapo wire.

david.....

What are the connectors made of? Aluminum or Zinc? Let's see.. .the sacrificial zinc anode is there for that exact purpose.. zinc is one of the weaker metals. The corrosion that happens on the connectors is due in large part to WATER. So, I use scotchkote liquid electrical tape on the connection after crimping the connector on.

I'm not an electrician, but I play one on my boat :)

I also have been in the Electronic field for most of my life. I (and I'm not bragging) am NASA certified in soldering and I have to recertify every two years, even as a contractor.

I use crimps when ever possible. The quality of the connection is suitable for mairine applications, (I use solder on home electronics) and much easier to accomplish. If the crimp gives up the ghost, cut it off and do it again.

I think this thread has really provided some good insight to many of us.

It is obvious, that boat manufacturers (most that is) use adequate technology most of the time, but the application lacks quality on occasion. In addition, they continue to use the WRONG types of parts. Using open air blade connectors on a boat, does not seem to be a good idea.

Additionally, many here have suggested some really good safeguards that will improve our own handiwork. Much appreciated on my part.

Tex

I learned back in 1965 you do not use "acid core solder" on electronic equipment.

Good Luck Rick Hale

tex,

you have a way of stirring up things in your posts. but i think that is a good thing. keeps everyone awake.

keep it up!

bryan

I twist mine together and put masking tape on them.... is this not good???

LOL Kraig

Kraig, you Texans don't know nuthin' about electricity. Everybody knows you should use duck tape on stuff like that.

Harpo

There you go Tox. Did you graduate from Okla State?

Harpo

you worked for Amp? No wonder you can't solder. Can you crimp?

A M/A-Com Employee :)

Dave,

I soldered for many years before joining AMP. Had to do some of that 'solder school and certification' stuff, also. Hate to admit how many 'solder fixes' that I had to do/engineer in the Sahara Desert in the early 70's. Built many a Heathkit product in my time, including a 25" TV and a chart recorder/depthfinder.

Can I crimp - on occasion. Did a little over two years with AMP out of the Dallas office, covering accounts in Texas, LA, ARK and OK.

Tex

Latest posts

Back