Dumb Question - Live Well

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ND Bass

Reaction score
:blink:OK guys....this is definately a rookie question. How does the live well work on my 04 Tracker PT185?

It has manual/auto switches for recirc and fill....the nozzle pulls out to pump out. How the heck to I set the switches to keep the thing at the right water level? I feel like I've tried every possible, probable combination and it either overfills, empties or I have to keep checking it every 15 min.

Am I missing an overflow tube for the bottom plug or what?;)

If it's like my older txs17, Yes. The plug in the bottom should have a tube in it that lets it drain when it reaches that level.

BF

Don't think you're missing a bottom overflow tube. Try this - set the rocker switch to "fill" then turn the dash panel switch to "manual." This should fill up the livewell. Once full, turn the dash panel switch to "auto." This should allow the livewell pump to bring in fresh water every so often. Any excess should go out an overflow outlet near the top of the livewell. If you're running on plane, set the rocker switch to recirc and turn the dash panel switch off. Once you're at the next spot, turn the dash switch to auto and the rocker to fill for periodic addition of fresh water - otherwise you can set the rocker to recirc to allow the pump to aerate the water without adding more. To empty, pull the nozzle out, set the rocker to "empty" and flip the dash switch to "fill".

At least I THINK that's how it should work!! :lol:

Thanks Jim...I'll check it out this weekend.

I used to have that problem, until I looked up under the lip and found the overflow on my Tracker. I battled the dealer for months, till I figured it out myself. I think Jim's advice is on the right track.

Tex

Jim and Tex...is it normal for it to slosh and keep the lip under the lid wet? Seems high but maybe I'm just not used to keeping fish.....but guess I should get in the habit if I'm gonna break into the bigs.:lol:

ND Bass - depends how rough the water is!! :lol:

Seriously, there will be some sloshing so don't be surprised if the bottom of the lid gets wet. Best bet on your system is to check under the lip of the tank to see if you have that overflow outlet somewhere mounted on the rear wall of the tank (or maybe the side). Make sure it isn't blocked or clogged. If you don't have the overflow outlet, then you may indeed have a system that needs an overflow tube. But I don't think that's right. My 2002 PT 175 had the overflow outlet. I'm pretty sure that Tracker did away with the overflow tubes by then - certainly by 2004.

Good luck.

We have a 2008 190TX and it has an overflow tube.

Really? Wow!! I would have thought Tracker would have switched all the boats over to an overflow outlet vs. tube. I've heard of too many problems with tubes getting dislodged by sloshing, bouncing or just fish swimming around. Guess I stand corrected on my earlier statements! Advice to NDBass still stands - check the livewell to see what you have.

I'm pretty sure there's an overflow outlet built in under the lip but will check...2 more days til I can hit the lake again....work, work, work up to then...

Stay tuned guys and thanks a ton for all the great info!

I have a new 2012 Targa Combo and it has an overflow tube. However - only 1. Which means I can use the aft live well or the bow, not both. Anyone know where I can get an extra?

Butch, did ya try the dealer where you purchased your boat?

Latest posts

Back