Dual 10ft Talon or Blade’s on a Z21?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to decide which to go with. Dual 10ft Talon’s or dual 10ft Blade’s on my 2022 Nitro Z21 XL? What do y’all recommend?

Power Poles for sure, Just the weight a lone would be one, maintenance is another because the chain and rollers freeze up sometimes if not lubed. I fished a toury on Lake St. Clair and saw Talons strapped down on the rear deck of boats because the brackets were broken or cracked. However that was a few years back.. The other thing is the warranty and service, hands down Power Pole there customer service is awesome nobody better.

I think it's a Ford/Chevy, Coke/Pepsi thing. I have the 10' Talons and I love them. The PP's are lighter but require a hydraulic oil reservoir be installed.
Here is a quick comparison: Minn Kota Talon vs Power Pole | Comparison of Shallow Water Anchors | Kayamping
I have also learned that if the water is 5' or deeper I prefer to use the spot lock feature on my Ultrex. That, is the biggest game changer I've had the pleasure of experiencing in bass fishing.

I have a power pole on my boat, if the ultrex would have been available when I purchased the power pole I wouldn’t of bought the PP. I live in an area were the lakes are deeper and my 8’ PP isn’t used.
If I were to choose between the two I would go with power pole again.

I have 2 - 10' Talon's on my Z20, glad I do, one nice feature is that the Talon' have a 3 stage blue led lighting system at the top as well as a 3 stage clear or white lights. This casts light onto the rear deck and is also a nice accent on my boat as it is blue and I have blue led lights under both counsels and on the forward deck. Next is the ability to simply hit a button on the remote to change the anchor applications. 3 different settings from normal condition and bottom to muddy or hard bottom and finally a setting that is applied under wave conditions. One thing that turned my head towards Talon's was a video on youtube that showed some guy demonstrating the power poles extended and he twisted them back and forward showing a lot of flexibility. My thought was if they are that flexible how ridged would the anchorage be?? Talon's deploy straight down giving them an advantage in a solid anchorage vs power poles extending out and away from the boat, one being an obstacle for my co-anglers to deal with and in some cases lacking in room to deploy. The only problem I have had with the Talon's is after changing out the batteries I have had trouble syncing the remotes again.

I have a 2018 Z21 with 8' power poles (I will upgrade to 10' someday, 8 too small, 12 too big, IMO). As BHD stated its personal preference. I do however recommend installing folding brackets on which ever one you choose. I fish the Colorado river in the Yuma area, lots of overgrown channels and lake entrances with tules. I lay down the poles to get in I also need to lay them down to park my boat. They are made by Minn Kota for the Talons but fit the power poles without any issue.

@Don... are the apot locks worth it? I can't put any PP on my 189Sport due to the way the transom is built. We fish out of it a lot.

@Don... are the apot locks worth it? I can't put any PP on my 189Sport due to the way the transom is built. We fish out of it a lot.
Yes the spot locks are worth it.
The first time I used one was during a tournament and I was always fatigued at tge end of the day. It helps you stay in a location. I own a ultrex and it is a good system.

Yes, it is great!!! I have a Ulterra but if I did it again I would be the Ultrex!!! Even if you have to get a mounting system made for it. You'll think it is the best. I'm 68 so I wanted ALL the bells and whistles and all auto. Been in the shop 3 times in first 2 years. Just too sensitive!

I do have to say, Minn Kota has been great about covering all the repairs!!! But, any time you put it in for repair, it's a month at least.
Don, I had my ultrex in the shop once in 4 years. Some how water got into the head of the motor shorting out the control board. They did not have an explanation on how the water got in there.
Ever since then I’ve been in a couple of heavy rains and no issues. You are right though it takes about a month to get the parts.

I will say that my Ultrex has changed the way I fish. I also use the NAV feature to maintain a course when I am working down a bank. I have been bass fishing for over 35 years and I will say that the features of these new "intelligent" trolling motors are the best advancement to come along. I don't have live imaging yet, so that might change my opinion.

I have the Ultrex with spot lock and 10’ tallons. I really love the Talons when sight fishing or in shallow water as they don’t stir up the water. So far mine have been trouble free.

I'm with Pat, The more the new technologies keep coming, the easier it will be. First it was the flasher, then the depth reader now it's the latest. Who still uses the green box for their fish finder? not me!

I think it's a Ford/Chevy, Coke/Pepsi thing. I have the 10' Talons and I love them. The PP's are lighter but require a hydraulic oil reservoir be installed.
Here is a quick comparison: Minn Kota Talon vs Power Pole | Comparison of Shallow Water Anchors | Kayamping
I have also learned that if the water is 5' or deeper I prefer to use the spot lock feature on my Ultrex. That, is the biggest game changer I've had the pleasure of experiencing in bass fishing.
Thanks! Im finding the spot lock mag be all I need after a few uses.

Latest posts

Back