Drotto on a Nitro ZV19 Sport compatibility or defect issue?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just stumbled upon this forum. I look forward to visiting frequently. I have a question for you guys. I had a Drotto on my previous boat trailer and bought one and installed it for my dad on his boat trailer as well. As such I am familiar with installing and using them. Last spring I got a new Nitro ZV19 Sport Pro, and had a Drotto ordered even before my boat arrived. After installing it I was only able to get my boat latched to it twice. After that I couldn't get the jaws to clamp, although I could move inner workings by hand and then get the jaws to move freely. I took it off and tested it on my workbench, trying to get it to latch to a pipe. It wouldn't budge when force was applied to it in the manner I believed a boat would hit it. I emailed Drotto and they had me send it back to them. They stated that they would look at it and if it was defective they would send me a new one, but if it wasn't defective it was then a compatibility issue with my boat model and they would give me my money back. A couple of weeks later I got a notice that I was getting a refund. Based on their previous statement, this would infer that there was a compatibility issue. I went all summer without it and I am really missing it. I really believe it was defective as I'm just wasn't seeing anything functionally different than what I had used before. Does anyone have an applicable experience and opinion on my issue? Or better yet have one working successfully on their ZV19 Sport and can confirm it works?

Just my 2 cents....

I have a 189 sport... ae basic boat just 2008 model. I have never used or even seen a Drotto in person. I would guess it's due to the way the boat trailers.... depends on how far the trailer is in the water... how steep the ramp is... mine is very finicky about how it loads. Once I got it figured out it was a breeze. Still, when we go to a new lake it takes a small learning curve to figure it out.

If my trailer is too far in the water the boat comes in with the bow really low, which makes it hit the spare and be way below the front roller. Maybe it's too many loading variables for the company to bother with.

If my trailer is too far in the water the boat comes in with the bow really low, which makes it hit the spare and be way below the front roller. Maybe it's too many loading variables for the company to bother with.

Thanks for the thoughts. Are you suggesting there may have been an issue with the product or an issue with their troubleshooting (or lack thereof)?

Timmer,
I have a 2019 ZV19 and a Dratto boat latch. When I first installed it I used the mounting holes to the front of the latch and it wouldn’t grab my bow eye but when I moved it to the rear hole (no jokes here haha) it worked fine. See photo.

Attachments

• 73EB517A-3906-4C9B-81BE-0C888682B33E.jpeg
    73EB517A-3906-4C9B-81BE-0C888682B33E.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 62
I don't know... just that it likes to be loaded and unloaded in a certain way. Maybe you could figure that you for yours and this thing would work.

I believe that the boat/trailer in question is the ZV19, not the Z19...totally different machines. The Z19 is very finicky at the launch for loading (as are all Z boats), while the ZV models aren't, so much. The deeper Vee hull makes hitting the front of the bow on the bow support almost impossible on the ZV models. I do believe the Drotto would offer a nice benefit on the ZV19, but might need a little adjusting to make it work properly.

Just read CeeDawg comment about issues with Z Nitro's. Have a 2021 Z19 Sport and having the loading problem at just about all ramps. When loading boat on the trailer the bow goes under the trailer roller.

This is interesting- there are two issue in play every time you load/launch.

1. Steepness or angle of the particular ramp
2. how far down you back the trailer.

These two factors work against each other and there is a learning curve to get really good at getting it right every time. I most always see guys with their trailer too deep in the water. You are always better off to be a little too shallow in rather than too deep in. The Drotto latch is likely not defective- the angle of its effective latching ability has a very small range of operation or angle of approach. If the eye that the latch mechanism attaches to was clear, above and below the eye, it woudn't matter much. Thats not true with the Nitro boats.

Just read CeeDawg comment about issues with Z Nitro's. Have a 2021 Z19 Sport and having the loading problem at just about all ramps. When loading boat on the trailer the bow goes under the trailer roller.
Don’t back your trailer
as far in next time.

I didn't notice zv vs z

I just know mine is finicky when loading. We have done it enough to have it right almost every time.

I back it in far enough to competely wet the bunk boards, them pull it out until about 3 inches of the trailer wheel fenders are visible. Again, loads great this way!

Don’t back your trailer
as far in next time.
Thanks it help today. Different ramp today, shallow , backed in got bunks wet. Then pulled forwarded leaving 5" of fender showing, not perfect, but very close. Cranked up roller without lifting boat.

Hi all,

Following up on this. I took a chance and purchased another one. What is more obvious now after having really scrutinized it, is that no matter which mounting hole I use on the Drotto, the boat comes in at too steep of an angle to the jaws. Just like my last experience, I got it to work a couple of times but it took quite a bit of force, and then the jaw components didn't want to move nicely across each other because they were slightly bent into each other. The overall angle is dictated by the shape of the bow and how the boat sits on the bunks. If I really wanted to resolve it I believe I'd have to figure out a way to raise the front of my bunks in order to decrease the angle of the bow. I'm not putting more time into it, just going to throw in the towel.

Hi all,

Following up on this. I took a chance and purchased another one. What is more obvious now after having really scrutinized it, is that no matter which mounting hole I use on the Drotto, the boat comes in at too steep of an angle to the jaws. Just like my last experience, I got it to work a couple of times but it took quite a bit of force, and then the jaw components didn't want to move nicely across each other because they were slightly bent into each other. The overall angle is dictated by the shape of the bow and how the boat sits on the bunks. If I really wanted to resolve it I believe I'd have to figure out a way to raise the front of my bunks in order to decrease the angle of the bow. I'm not putting more time into it, just going to throw in the towel.
Ha, there you go. lost another one. If it happens to me, I figure it to be "Murphys Law". I have found that some things mechanical and even electrical have minds of there own, meaning, " that Blimey thing hates me and doesn't want me to be happy".. Here lately, the only time I am happy is when my pole is bent and I jerk it. LOL

Latest posts

Back