Drotto boat Latch or Ramp and clamp

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbaine01

NTO Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking to purchase one of these latches for my Nitro 189. Any recommendations on either of these. Reviews are good and bad on both systems??. I launch my boat by myself 99% of the time.

Just bought a 1999 185 sport nitro. With a 2000 trailer. How can I get bearing info. I would like to do a maintenance, but I do not want to take apart until I have part info in case I have issues

Looking to purchase one of these latches for my Nitro 189. Any recommendations on either of these. Reviews are good and bad on both systems??. I launch my boat by myself 99% of the time.
I have used ramp n clamp on my 2001 17 targa for 4 years, I load and unload many times by myself. Never had any trouble,best thing I bought for my boat.

Just bought a 1999 185 sport nitro. With a 2000 trailer. How can I get bearing info. I would like to do a maintenance, but I do not want to take apart until I have part info in case I have issues
You should be able to get the bearing number off the bearing seal under the cup covering the hub. In, fact, inspection of the side play of the bearing and its' appearance would indicate if the bearing needed a change. You would still need to remove the hub to clean and re-grease the bearings. I have oil filled cups in my hubs and good seals... so all I have to do is look at the oil level the trail is a 2000 and still has the original bearings, just a seal replacement 8-10 years ago.

Here is another option if you can find one as they are no longer in business. I have used this for over 12 years without an issue.
I let one get away when I sold my old Nitro, was fortunate to find another.
Boat Buddy.png

I tried both Ramp n Clamp first and then the Drotto for my Nitro 190dc. Couldn't seem to get the Ramp n Clamp to work reliably. The Drotto has worked flawlessly for me.

I am a big fan and long-term user of the Drotto. For my 2021 Nitro, my boat bow and trailer winch stand are at too steep of an angle and it's not compatible. I think about the fact that I don't have one every time I go to the boat ramp. I would absolutely have one if I could.

Now you have introduced me to another one that I'll have to look at. Thanks!

I don't see the need. I pretty much always launch my boat by myself. For launching I back the boat almost all the way down the ramp, tie a rope from a cleat to the dock, unhook the winch strap then finish backing it. To load I drive the boat up on the trailer step on the tongue, then hook up the winch. I can do both quicker than most people at the ramp.

Not that fortunate at the lake i go where the ramp and docks are located. I Unload drive boat over to dock then walk to ramp pull out truck and trailer. Not that convenient everywhere. But thanks for the comment.

Attachments

• 20220730_095057.jpg
    20220730_095057.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I am a big fan and long-term user of the Drotto. For my 2021 Nitro, my boat bow and trailer winch stand are at too steep of an angle and it's not compatible. I think about the fact that I don't have one every time I go to the boat ramp. I would absolutely have one if I could.

Now you have introduced me to another one that I'll have to look at. Thanks!
Can you adjust your winch stand to accommodate the Drotto?

Copy that. So it needs to stand more straight up. This on the newer boat

Actually the problem is the other way. My boat's bow is steep and the ring rams the Drotto more than it slides in. After a couple of uses the Drotto jaws get bent and it locks up. I returned the first one because I thought it was defective. When my second arrived I paid closer attention and used a calipers to measure where all the parts were at after each use and proved I was damaging it. And yes, the drotto had enough play to tilt on it's own when i was using it. That is not the issue.

I apologize to the OP for veering this thread off track. I do think the Drotto is a good product even though it won't work for me on this boat.

Actually the problem is the other way. My boat's bow is steep and the ring rams the Drotto more than it slides in. After a couple of uses the Drotto jaws get bent and it locks up. I returned the first one because I thought it was defective. When my second arrived I paid closer attention and used a calipers to measure where all the parts were at after each use and proved I was damaging it. And yes, the drotto had enough play to tilt on it's own when i was using it. That is not the issue.

I apologize to the OP for veering this thread off track. I do think the Drotto is a good product even though it won't work for me on this boat.
Sounds like it might be ok in my 189 as the bow is not that steep just the eye hook is about 8 inches from top of bow

I broke down and decided on the Drotto. Not exactly plug and play as they advertised. I had to put a longer bow eye bolt on and I moved winch tower out so boat would not hang over the back and then had to adjusted Guide rollers up as the Drotto raised the boat a Inch or so but not to noticeable. Installed in my driveway so boat never moved on trailer. Next update is to try it out.

Attachments

• 20220929_184149.jpg
    20220929_184149.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220929_184155.jpg
    20220929_184155.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220929_184152.jpg
    20220929_184152.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220929_184218.jpg
    20220929_184218.jpg