Don't leave home without . . . . . . .

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Okay boys and girls. You are going fishing this spring on your favorite lake, for our favorite species of fish:

Micropterus salmoides

better known as a largemouth bass.

What is the one rig, and bait that you will not leave home without? Or, to put it differently - when you have to put a fish in the boat, what will you reach for?

Looking for just one - not a 'if the conditions are . . .'.

If only allowed one, mine would be a 6'6" spinning rod (medium/heavy), with a good 5/6 bearing reel with either Spiderwire fusion or the new McCoy Mean Green (that I've ordered), on the reel. Terminal tackle would be a 1/4oz bullet weight pegged above a 3/0 EWG Gammy, with a Zoom Pumpkinseed trick worm attached. The Zoom trick worm would be generously coated with some Kick-N-Bass garlic.

Tex

For me it would be my 6'6" avid spining rod with a stradic 2000 reel spooled with 10# green bps excel line. The lure of choice would be a 4" watermellon black fleck senko rigged wacky on a 3/0 gammy g-lock hook, the senko would be coated with some smelly jelly bass feast scent. With that rig i can load the boat on any given day. And ill catch plenty of smallies on it too :)

Spring? Largemouth?

AST845C (7 foot medium action), Shimano Curado spooled with 12 pound XPS green Mono and a Nichols 1/2 oz double willow leaf spinnerbait white on white.

Now remember we have a season here in Michigan, if it were pre-season, you could change the lure to a Black and brown Jig and pig....1/2 oz.

Mini

I get 2 right, 1 for me, 1 for the wife?

Me - 6'6" GL2 783 Spinning rod, 4" senkos in the 240 color

Wife - 6' GL2 722 Spinning rod, 4" Yamamoto grub, color 157.

These two put alot of fish in the boat...

Now, if size of fish caught is a consideration:

Me - 7' Revolver Rod, brown jig with a 221 yamamoto hula grub (5") trailer.

Wife - 6'6" Crankin rod, bandit 300 in the chart/rootbeer color.

On the potomac it would be a 6'6 mh with a baitcast reel spooled with 17lbs trilene with a bright green baby 4 minus.

Nearly anywhere I would go, I never leave without a 7' m/h action flipping rod, 20 lb test Fireline and a 1/2 oz black jig with Zoom chunk trailer, sprayed with Baitmate.

6'-6", Shimano Curado, 10lb P-line and a Mann's Baby-1 minus in Firetiger

Sure you can, a 6lb smallie on light tackle! But topwater does rock! Ever catch a smallie in 40+ feet of water on topwater??? Now that is fun, they come clean out of the water just when hitting the bait, and then the real acrobatics begin once you stick 'em.

7'MH Pro Qualifier, BPS Rick Clunn baitcaster, 6.3:1, with 17 lb XPS mono, 1/2 oz black and blue Strike King Pro model jig with a Zoom Super Chunk trailer. FISH ON!!

Craig

which spring?

early spring. any rod n reel & wht 1/2oz spinnerbait.

late spring. zoom superfluke (watermelon/blue flake)

Mini, where did I get the idea that you used all Calcuttas?

Funny how things change in a few short months..... The beginning of last year, I was worms and Stick-o's (Senko's).....

By the end of last year, my go to became:

Curado 101; 6'6" medium BPS Extreme; 12# clear Stren; 1/2 oz Stanley Wedge spinnerbait with double gold willowleaf blades in firetiger with a trailer hook.

me!

6'6 falcon rod quantum energy reel 14 berkly xt with a watermelon red brush hog.

7'-6'' Flippin Pool (IM6), Abu Garcia 4600 C3 Reel and 3/8 oz Black Jig with a number 11 Uncle Josh pork frog. Never leave home without it. This combination has won me more tournaments than anything else I've ever used. When monies on the line the jigs on the end.

Scott,

I do have 5 Calcutta's. They are only 5:1, the Curados are 6.3:1.

Mini

My "Go To" rig is my 6'6" Mitchell Fulcrum Pro Rod with an Abu Garcia 4600c3 left handed reel loaded with 17lb. test spiderwire supermono in low-vis green, rigged with a 1/4oz Chompers Brush jig with a blue and black skirt,and a black neon superchunk zoom trailer. I have won two tournaments with this combo.

Understood Jim. The higher ratio also does not have the same pulling power as a lower ratio reel. That two inches per turn adds up alot at the end of a long cast when you are burning 3/4 oz spinnerbait.

Mini

For me it would be a 6' Tourney Special Medium Action, with the BPS reel, it was comboed with spooled with Trilene 14lb clear. The bait would be a tandem blade Terminator spinnerbait in white with a white/ red tip trailer.

fishrmn70

Hey Ron. Speaking of Mitchell Fulcrum rods, can a guy still get the 7'6" telescopic flippin' stick? The one with the "foam" type handles? I would really like to get another one but haven't seen them. Last ones I got ws from OSHI.

For bait fishin', I like bait clickers and high line capacity. I've got three Abu Garcias; Two Royal Expresses with a 6.3:1 ratio and a C-3 with a 5.3:1 ratio. That C-3 feels so-o-o-o slo-o-o-ow in comparison to the Expresses!

Oh, yeah..... With foam handles on Quantum Lite rods!

There was at least one time in my life that I caught fish over 5 ounces!
catfish.jpg

Holy Catfish Batman!

Nice haul, Scott!

When I take the kids, as they usually don't have the patience for bassin', (unless it's with live bait),we go after cats, and it's some of the most fun we've had on the water.......

who's the cat with the catfish ?

I would bring a 6'6 techna AV, curado reel, and 10lb big game, with a 3/8 chartreuse on chartreuse spinnerbait.

Pierre

OK if I could only take 1 lure and had to survive it would be a white mepps spinner..and a spinning setup..it can and will catch everything from Sunfish to Pike..

BF

6'6" med. rod with 10lb. Trilene. Bait would be a toss up between 4" Zoom Lizard in Green Pumkin on a 2/0 Gammy hook and 1/8oz bullet or Zoom Super Fluke in Arkansas Shiner 3/0 Gammy weightless. Both heavily sprayed with BANG Garlic.

Marke

For me in east central Kansas it would have to be the 7'6" Fenwick flippin' stick with my old ABU Garcia reel with the flippin switch(don't make them any more!!) and a Black/Blue 3/8oz tripple rattle back jig and plenty of Real Craw!!

Hey Jr- Where you fishin at out there in the desert? I ride the train into Pratt and there doesn't seem to be much water out there!! How far are you from Cedar Bluff?

Tim

Tim----

We are right in the middle of the best fishing in the country........................................................500 miles any direction! (laughing)

I'm about 85 miles from Cedar Bluff and it has become one great bass & crappie lake. There is also a small, state lake (Clark County) that is about 20 miles that is pretty good too.

I usually hit Norton, Kirwin & Webster at least once or twice per year as well but they are really low now. I was told Kirwin was so low, you can't even launch a boat. Better get some rain/snow soon. (Preferrably rain!)

85 miles from water??????????????????????????????

I would die.....

Spoiled in Michigan,

Mini

Jr.- I won a tournament a few years back on Kirwin. It is an awesome lake and Norton is probably one of the best fish per acre lakes I have ever fished!! I knew Dodge City was out there as far as away from water, but 85 miles!! I guess I am very fortunate to live 10 miles form two lakes and have several more within an hour! If you ever want to hook up and fish sometime just let me know!!

Tim

I'd have a 6'6" Med/Hvy BPS Pro Qualifier with a JLM Sig.(6.3:1) baitcaster spooled with 12-14lb green BPS Excel line. I'd have 1 of 3 baits tied on,..and the other 2 in my pocket!! LOL...They'd be a 7" Blk/Blue worm with a 3/16 oz Florida Rig worm weight,...a 1/4-3/8oz Blk/Blue jig/pig combo,....or a texas rigged tube....the tube and worm combo's would include a 3/0 Mustad Ultra Point wide gap tube hook...and the jig would probably have a # 11 Uncle Josh pork trailer (either Black...Lt.Blue or natural) since it's still cold out,.....later in the summer I'll switch to a plastic craw trailer.....spring fishin' rules!!!

Leave the poor guy alone Rob...it's the ONLY picture he has holding REAL fish.

That's funny though, I immediately thought the same thing as you did...LOL

Latest posts

Back