done with bass pro

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony silveira

Reaction score
Im officially done buying anything from bass pro. Had my last of many bad experiences last week. They had a fish finder on sale for a good price. On their web site it was back ordered they charge arm and leg for shipping anyways. I called down there guy said they have a lot of them in stock. So I made the hour drive down there guy has to go in back to get comes out and says we have them but I can't sell them. He said they are going on sale next week so I can't sell them. They were already on sale!! Thats why I was there. After some choice words with manager I got one. Will never go there again! That's not the only story I have about them.

TJ

I'm going offer a weak defense for Bass Pro Retail Outlets. Corporate sometimes sets up Sales in advance and sends out merchandise to the stores not to be sold until the sale date. Managers are put under the gun not to sell said items until the date arrives. Then the flyer comes out and says "said item" is on sale. Sometimes the sale date is in the flyer sometimes not. The guys in the stores are put on the spot. In comes a customer flyer in hand and has a confrontation with the sales clerk, then manager, the the GM. Customer gets pissed. When I was working for them we had a guy drive a huge distance to get some goose decoys that were on sale in the flyer. We didn't even have a SKU number in the computer valid. He was very upset the sale date was the second day of the Fall Classic. In this case and as what usually happens the GM can sell the item in this special case.

The associate that told you they were in stock obviously wasn't on the same page as the manager this was a mistake and he should have checked with his manager or lead associate to be sure they could be sold before you made the trip. I'm sorry in your case he didn't. Service varies from store to store but most general managers will take care of a customer in your situation.

Personally I've had lousy service from Cabelas then gone to another Cabelas and had an outfitter bend over backwards to help me. I went to a Bass Pro Shop in Florida(won't tell what one) and the associates in the hunting department would have been fired had they been in my store. As so it goes.

It's up to you where you buy or not buy your tackle. I no longer work for them as I retired from anything resembeling work last summer. I buy my stuff from whoever has the best deal and if I have to put up with some $#itty service now and then so be it. It sure won't be the last time. We're all human.

Hopes this helps you a bit. We could live in a country where there are no bps,Scheels, Dicks, or Cabelas. I waited on customers from all over the world and they were amazed that the United States had such places.

I bet if we took a poll they all would have a long list of crap service and a list of great service from all stores out there. Such is life.:)

Mike Grandick

I just wish Neeley was less than an hour away...

That is a week defense its on sale I can't sell???? Every time I try to by reel they are sold out. Try to sell me garbage johnny morris reel. They suckered me into that once. worst reel I've ever bought threw it in trash.

Weak defense is right..

I have been wanting two Tournament Jackets for the wife and I for two months!

And they have NO clue when they'll have any...seriously?

All kinds of small and XLarge but, no large:wacko:

They seem to NEVER have what I really want or what they advertise.

Tee, eat a couple of cheeseburgers and fries and you'll be in an Xlarge in no time!! :lol:

Tee,

You need to read the flyer as to WHEN that item is on sale. They put MANY dates in there and some are one day only sales.

I am not saying that was the case here, but in most instances that I am involved with it is usually the customer that got it wrong.

As for holding merchandise for the proper date.....well how mad would you be if you showed up on the RIGHT date and they were out because they sold them early?

Mini

I quit shopping at Bass Pro, Cabelas. Gander Mountain, Dick's etc .... three years ago.

I only shop www.tacklewarehouse.com and a few other "local" online shops now. I've saved a "bucket-a-duckets" over the years. .... Too bad and it's sad but the "big boys" have priced themselves right out of todays tight market.

just my opinion.

I just ordered something small from Tackle Warehouse to try them out because of the shipping to Australia from BPS and Cabellas has now become unrealistic and also because I heard Tackle Warehouse mentioned on this forum, maybe from you?

Anyway, my small item has now been backordered 3 times, ordered on Jan 29 and as of today the latest ship date will be March 13, our season will be over before I receive it.

I have been burned on web based sales in the past but there are a few that I will use. I was appearing at Bass Pro this last weekend for some of my sponsors and even with the economy the way it is and the store's location (Hampton, VA) most likely to get hit hard if sequestration happens, there was no shortage of customers. Their prices are not out of line and you can always find a better deal elsewhere but remember, shipping charges, mail uncertainty, and so on can affect what you pay and whether or not you get it. Especially rods. Easy to walk into BPS and leave with what you want (if they have it). Even if it is to eyeball baits or put your hands on the rod you are looking to buy (most abused in shipping). BPS is not the devil, neither is Cabela's, Gander, Dicks, Academy and so on. As for JLM quality, I'll put it up against any reel of comparable price and some that are even more expensive. I fished and used in my guide service, BPS rods/reels for 15 years and still have some that were from my original order....and they work just fine.

Has NOTHING to due with dates of sales or anything like that.

They just never seem to have what they advertise...at least that's true with the Cinci BPS.

Thing is I was just there a month ago and they same items that they didn't have then, they didn't have still this past weekend. Fill the shelves when they're empty ...please.

Here's my take.....I worked the Spring Classic at BPS for a number of my sponsors (I've worked it for 15 years). Customer traffic was high. Stock dwindled. What got re-stocked?......BPS branded products, what didn't?.....other manufacturers products. The reason being they didn't have as much non-BPS product to stock. I always offer to help re-stock and for the most part there is no more product. I have had this discussion 100 times with the Fishing Department Managers and it's always "the buyer didn't get enough product". BPS has "Buyers" who purchase product for the whole chain, then the stores order what is centrally housed to be delivered to their respective stores. Internally, the stores are "rated" with the higher rated stores getting first crack at what's in stock at the warehouse. If your local store isn't highly rated, there's a chance there won't be much or any "other manufacturers" product to order. I have no idea how they establish their ratings though. Too many times I have gotten in the crossfire between one of my sponsors, BPS Department Managers and BPS Buyers. I have had Managers give me the buyers name and number to try and help them get product from my sponsors. In rare cases, I have had BPS Managers authorize a "direct ship" to get product but it is very rare and frowned upon. Welcome to my world and one of the downsides of being sponsored!!

I always try to get there either Friday night or first thing Saturday morning on the first weekend of the Classic. There's at least a little better chance of getting what I want/need. I have always had great experiences at the store. They don't always have what I want in stock but, that's the case at a lot of places. When I do electrical work and need an item, I may have to go to a couple places to get what i need. It's frustrating but a part of life. Last Saturday morning I was looking for a few more Spro Little Johns. :wub: All they had were medium and deep divers in just 3 colors. :angry: Not even a spot for the shallow baits. How wrong is that! :)

Gene

You looking for SPRO? Go figure!!:lol::lol: Gone because Carlos probably got there before you. :lol: I will say this, last year before the MVM, I wanted some original LJ's in Cell Mate (big surprise!!) and called up my handler. Told him I had to have them. He told me Tough Sh.... we are out:eek::angry::lol: Reason being, Bass Pro bought everything they had in that color. I scoured the internet and they were almost impossible to find and if you did there was a buy limit of 1 or 2. With shipping, that was not smart. I finally called a tackle store owner in Florida that I turned on to them and he had 7 and was willing to sell me 5 at a discount. So, even I will buy them if I can't get them. BTW Gene, let me know what you are looking for and I'll see if I can round some up;) You gonna come fish with us again this year?

Well, my 2 cents, I agree with TJ, I have e-mailed Bass Pro and Cabela's many times about the outrageous shipping. It Kills the sale prices. Always wondered how Gander Mountain ships for free, and alot of other places ship for free on a $50 dollar order, but BPS and Cabelas kills you with shipping costs. I never hear back from either of them on my e-mails. OK, I'm done now... Gibson...

Don't forget, it's shipping....and handling!! Whatever that means....It's for someone to go into the warehouse grab the crankbait and print off the address and ship it.

I picked up another MD in cellmate and 1 in citrus shad. I don't "need" any, but figured since I had a ton of points to use up, a few more couldn't hurt. :wub:

I'm hoping to come down. That's right when my boss is retiring so I may have meetings and training for the transition. Whether it's a temporary or permanant transfer of "power" remains to be seen. :) This time I'll confirm phone numbers before I come down. ;)

Gene

The store I worked for (almost seven years) had a room for merchandise that was ordered from the catalog and shipped at no cost to customers. Ofcourse you need to live close to a store. You went to customer service and asked and someone went and and picked up your stuff. You already had it paid for from the catalog sale. Worked pretty good but then again most don't live next to a store.

On a different note. The Cabelas across town had a sale on Flicker Shads(thats a walleye bait for all you bank beaters). I drove all the way over there after CALLING A HEAD TO MAKE SURE THEY HAD THEM. I got there 30 miles later and someone had just took a shopping cart and dumped the whole bin in it and bought them. I didn't throw a tantrum because being in the business I knew thats how the cookie crumbles. But The outfitter was besides himself. He got on the computer and pulled every Flicker Shad he could find in the other stores and had them drop shipped to my front door. $125 worth!

My fellow hunting associates have taken phone calls for shootin/hunting supplies that we didn't have and have personally located some when possible and had them shipped in care of us to our store then called the customer back and had them come and get it.

My point is ALL the stores are capable of great or really bad service depending on the circumstances. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water so to speak. I have yet to find an outdoor store that I didn't enjoy going into and looking around.

Latest posts

Back