Do Ya Member?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD Johnson

Reaction score
I came across this phrase in a book yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS".

A term I haven't heard in a long time and thinking about "fender skirts". My '54 Ford and my '61 were so equipped. It started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice.

Like "curb feelers". I've been thinking about getting a pair of these but couldn't find them in the Auto Parts store.

And "steering knobs." (AKA) suicide knob. I put one of these on the '54 and it quickly 'ate' through the steering wheel.

I stopped at a car wash being held by the cheer leaders of the local high school to raise money. I specifically asked the young lady to make sure they did a good job on the 'White Walls'. When they were done I noticed that they had not cleaned the sides of the tires at all. I went back to the gal and told her that I had intended giving them a nice tip but was very disappointed that they hadn't done the 'White Walls'. She looked at me puzzled and said... what are "White Walls"?

Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first. Any kids will probably have to find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember "Continental kits?" They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental. I really wanted one but they were like 1 $150 dollars and that was too much to put on a $300 car.

When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?" At some point "parking brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the "foot feed." I love to use this word in the classes that I teach that are filled with teens.

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the "running board" up to the house? We had a couple of cars that sat in the back yard that had 'running boards' but not 'running engines'.

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore - "store-bought." Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.

"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term "world wide" for granted. This floors me.

On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.

When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way?" It's hard to imagine that the word "pregnant" was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company. So we had all that talk about stork visits and "being in a family way" or simply "expecting."

Apparently "brassiere" is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just "bra" now "Unmentionables" probably wouldn't be understood at all.

I always loved going to the "picture show," but I considered "movie" an affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I came across the other day - "rat fink." Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss - "percolator." That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with? "Coffee maker." How dull. Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like "DynaFlow" and "Electrolux." Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with "SpectraVision!"

Food for thought - Was there a teleth

Dont forget the little button that used to be on the floor by your left foot for the "High-beams" !

And remember when a TV show that was broadcast in color was something special !

Or how about bicycles with one speed and tires as big around as your arm.

The push button starter next to the key switch.

The Jewel Tea that traveled through the neighborhoods selling his wares.

The mater boy that hustled veggies through the neighborhoods.

How about mail twice a day in the country or the dry cleaner picking up and delivering?

"Be home before the street lights come on".

And you were afraid to miss that, not because of drugs, shootings, kidnappings, gangs or any other neferious activity.

But becasue Dad would beat your %$#^ if you were late. You know it accepted it. Or worst the neighbor called to say you were still outside.

When I dared to smoke my first cigarette, it was walking home from the school bus. My Mother knew about it before I even got close to home. Two Women in the neighborhood had already "reported me"..:) I think I was fifteen.

Do you remember the crystal shell like glass thing that used to be on the dash board so you could see the light change when you had a visor on your car or truck?

How about "green stamps" ? Pasteing them in a "book" and trading for goods at the market. And the cheapest I remember gasoline was at 29 cents a gallon!!

I've got a 1965 Mustang with the "high-beams" button on the floor.

Anyone remember a toy called "Clackers"....two glass balls on a short string:cool:?

Who else collected Coke bottles as a kid to turn in for money at the local corner store?

Those were the days..... And I'm only 46!!!!:D:(:lol:

Tom

How about "green stamps" ? Pasteing them in a "book" and trading for goods at the market.

Tom, I still have a bunch of those books, and they're filled too. I think they are called "S&H Green Stamps". Someone else had stamps like that too but I don't remember what they were called. And yes I took bottles back to the General Store for two cents each..

Anything for money.:) I seined for grass shrimp and bull minnows and sold them to the city guys out fishing "my" river. I also sold TV Guides. They used to be sold and delivered like newspapers.

Uncle Billy

Don't forget doctors that actually made house calls as a matter of routine

Latest posts

Back