Deer Guns

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 3 "favorites" and I have killed deer with all 3......each has a specific use.

I have a really sweet Weatherby Mark V "Sporter" in .270 Mag...topped with a Nikon 3-9x40 scope for general use......killed a nice 8pt last week on opening day in MI. with it.
For hunting in thicker brush in a rifle zone,..I have a Ruger M77/44 bolt action carbine in .44mag...also topped with a Nikon 3-9x32 scope. It's a tack driver at 100yds or less.
and for southern MI. (shotgun only) I have a Remington 870 pump in .20ga. that's topped with a 3-9x32 scope.....
The Ruger is a riot to shoot,...fun,..accurate..and relatively inexpensive....but the Weatherby is not a "plinker" with ammo costing @ $60-65 for a box of 20 rds.

Mac... you need to start reloading for that Weatherby.... At $3 a shot that venison is pricey!!!

And what did you kill the big pig with MacDaddy?
I used the .270 also......a 1 shot kill for both the boar and the deer........that's 2 shells ($6.00) for over 300lbs of boneless meat.........I won't live long enough to recoup the cost of the reloading gear!! I've got 35 rounds left...that's another 10 years or so of hunting!! I'm okay with that!! LOL

I used the .270 also......a 1 shot kill for both the boar and the deer........that's 2 shells ($6.00) for over 300lbs of boneless meat.........I won't live long enough to recoup the cost of the reloading gear!! I've got 35 rounds left...that's another 10 years or so of hunting!! I'm okay with that!! LOL

Hard to argue with that logic.... But, what if you fubar the scope and then have to sight in a new one.... Your whole financial plan will go to hell and you won't be able to afford retirement.... you will have to buy and drive a cheap Korean car... no more McDonalds... it could get ugly!~!~!

You are right Greg....but,..if I ever got in the position of having to choose between ammo and a Korean car,....I'd just suck it up and buy the ammo!! LOL

I have used Sierra Gameking bullets for deer in my .257 Roberts for years. For heavier game I like the Nosler Partitions and now the Nosler Accubonds. If you want some very accurate long range bullets (and expensive) try GS Custom Bullets in South Africa.... individually turned solid copper bullets!

I didn't "schedule" any deer hunting this year.... Still rehabbing from my torn hamstring and with (my son) Jeff's baby due (and born on 10-30-13) it just wasn't a good year. But, I had loaded up and tested new recipes for the .257 using Nosler 115 gr Balistic Tips. I had used them once before with good luck and I felt I needed a backup for the future if Gamekings became unavailable again. Well, at 200 yards they shot very well (1.5-1.75 inches)(as good as the Gamekings) so all I need to do now is wait till "next year" to try some real game (deer). I may become a Nosler only hunter.

I used 140 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips in my Weatherby too.....the results are impressive to say the least. The boar ran about 30-35 yards up hill and piled up at the top....no exit hole after hitting him in the heart/lungs. Same with the deer.....he ran maybe 10yds and pild up. His liver/left lung and 1/2 of his heart were goo....no exit wound. The energy, speed and hyrdostatic shock of that round is devistating!!

Okay.... just loaded up some "varietals" (like fine wine!!!!) for my .257 R... 100gr Partitions, 100gr Ballistic Tips to compare accuracy and 115 gr Ballistic Tips and 115gr Partitions, again for accuracy testing.... Both loaded with IMR 4350 (past performance has been great). I am really set on switching from Gamekings and would like to use a Nosler. I am waiting for some 110gr Accubonds, but they are currently out of stock... I will try some RL19, H4895, Varget and IMR 4350 when the bullets get here to which is most accurate and the fiddle with the charge weight of the best. The new Accubonds are supposed to act like a partition and hold their weight over a bigger range of velocities.... We shall see.

Nothing beats the real world performance of Partitions in .284 from my 7mm Rem Mag. But, I am willing to try the Accubonds there too because of the velocity band suggested by Nosler.

I have 3 "favorites" and I have killed deer with all 3......each has a specific use.

I have a really sweet Weatherby Mark V "Sporter" in .270 Mag...topped with a Nikon 3-9x40 scope for general use......killed a nice 8pt last week on opening day in MI. with it.
For hunting in thicker brush in a rifle zone,..I have a Ruger M77/44 bolt action carbine in .44mag...also topped with a Nikon 3-9x32 scope. It's a tack driver at 100yds or less.
and for southern MI. (shotgun only) I have a Remington 870 pump in .20ga. that's topped with a 3-9x32 scope.....
The Ruger is a riot to shoot,...fun,..accurate..and relatively inexpensive....but the Weatherby is not a "plinker" with ammo costing @ $60-65 for a box of 20 rds.

The Weatherby ammo is sort of expensive. LOL, I used to have the Mark V Deluxe in 7 MMWM but sold it to purchase a Side Imaging sonar unit.

Bill, good to see you here. Sorry I missed this post first time around.

Nice buck!

She didn't stick around to see. Good thing is that it falls under the comprehensive clause so no deductible. Almost $800 in damage. Hit between front bumper and fender, that swung his body around and hit the drivers side......and crapped all over the jeep....:p She's fine, Jeep and deer ...not so much.

If that was one of those Alaskan reality shows someone would have been on that carcass in a jiffy. My wife and I almost bagged a biggy last night on the way home from a movie. The city deer are so used to people yielding to them they just dare you to hit them. Same with the Turkeys. I bagged two jakes with my last Ford Powerstroke tossed them in back breasted them out and had them ka bobbed on the barbie. Only killed a rattlesnake with the new Ford.
fatrap

Mike.... did you get my message about bullet samples?