Deep Gouge in Fiberglass

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Snider

Reaction score
Well guys... Went out in the boat yesterday and the family and I had a great time!!! Until.... (Yep. You guys know by now that my stories always end the same way!)... A new dock I was trying out sat a little lower in the water than the usual dock I use... Well, there's now a huge gouge in the fiberglass in the port/bow location. I mean, this gouge thing is VERY ugly. It doesn't threat the structural integrity, but wow... It's a deep gouge. I know, I know... I'll invest in a set of bumpers abd use them from now on. I tend to learn my lessons the hard way.

Anyway, can people fix fiberglass to hide this kind of damage pretty good? Does anyone have any idea how much something like that would cost? It's probably 3-4 inches long and pretty darn deep (1/4" or something)... Do boat dealers perform this type of repair OR are there folks that specialize in fiberglass repair? I'll give the local dealers a call, but I just wanted to post something since I haven't done this in awhile...

Thanks...

Hey Sgt,
When I go to buy another boat, remind me not to buy yours O.K? LOL Man that poor thing gets beat hard. Mine doesn't look much better I bet.
Rob

Ha ha.... Imagine this, I've only had it for three months! I can't wait to see it in 5 years...!

SgtThump

Sgt Thump,

I did almost the same thing to my 911. Well at least I had an excuse weather was bad, at least thats the story I'm telling :) LOL. Anyway my dealer had a guy repair it for me and it cost about 250.00. They had to order the medal flake and all. It took the glass guy a good day to get it back in shape. Now you cant tell it was ever gouged.

Hope this helps,

Stev

Adam,

Cool! Belleville is pretty darn close to where I live, so that would work out great (I assume you know that, though). I think I'll give The Fishin' Hole a call and get the guys name...

Thanks to everyone for all the valuable information!

By the way, the real story is that I approached the dock at a funny angle to sneak up next to another boat. My wife was in front, but she wasn't paying attention and we ended up hitting the corner of the dock. If I was up front, I wouldn't stopped it with my brute strength, of course... I swear that's the truth!

SgtThump

Latest posts

Back