dead tach

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike chip

Reaction score
Took the boat out yesterday for the first time. (1996 pro 17 with 60 merc) The tach isn't working. Any idea where to start looking for the problem so i can fix it.

thanks

mike

Either the tach or the wiring is bad. You said the tach didn't work but you didn't say how it wasn't working. If the needle was not moving at all your tach is broken or you have an open circuit. If it was moving intermittently then it was getting some power but there could be a short or the tach is going bad or (not likely) the setting on the tach could be set for the wrong number of cylinders. Check for a blown fuse, check the wires for continuity with a multi-tester and also if there is power to the tach. Shake the wires while testing them to see if there is a break in continuity or power. My friend was sure his tach was bad and after buying a new tach and installing it he found that it was actually a bad wiring connection. Good luck.

Bear

Ditto on what Bob said. That is what was wrong with mine last year. Spent $50 on a new gauge for nothing. Needed a new electrical system. Good luck, hope it's just a short.

ummm the 96 60hp model doesn't have a rectifier... if the gauge it's self is fine then most likely it is a voltage Regulator, This is a little silver box with 5 wires comming out of it... 2 red, 2 yellow and 1 grey, the grey is the tach wire, first place to check is make sure the plastic covering the box isn't melted, this would be a dead giveaway, believe it or not... the regulator goes out quite a bit on the mercury products, and they aren't cheep.... if you've got any other questions feel free to email me.

thanks for popinting me down the right road to fix this problem. When i first hit the key the tach bounces and then does not move at all.

I will check the wires and post again in a few days.

thanks

mike

well It looks like the regulator is bad, any idea how much one costs and is it something i could put on, the closest dealer i 1 1/2 hours away.

mike

Latest posts

Back