Creaking noise

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike stevens

Reaction score
As the title says I just started to get a creak noise from the left rear corner of my

05 700 lx.Any pressure in the rear deck causes this noise.I pulled out the center

molding of the rub rail and found all the screws behind it loose.Tried to tighten

but most of them are stripped, just turn in hole.Two questions:Do these screws actually

hold the top to the hull? and how can this be fixed ?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Mike

Try making a new whole about 1/2 a inch away from the original one and put some silicone on the old whole's. On my nitro 591 I have to check all of the screws on the molding around the boat. In time all of them will come loose.

Common problem with all boats that are 2 piece. I have to tighten mine up about every 3 months but I trailer a lot. Right now, I have the nose of my 929 moving about an inch. I've got to check and see if I snapped the screws or if they are just loose. If I were you, I would oversice the stripped screws and add a few more for piece of mind. I think Mac had mentioned that Mini doubled the number of screws along his rubrail and that is on a Ranger!!:lol: ).

TOXIC

I havent had to double the screws on my Ranger. The story you tried to remember is the first 911 I had. The screws that hold the hull and deck together were the same screws that hold the rub rail on. They were 18" apart!!!! Consequently two weeks after I had teh boat the cap and hull seperated. I had to re-do the entire rubrail (screws 8" apart). It was a constant battle keeping her together, and eventually she cracked up so bad that Tracker replaced it. The next boat was good.

My Ranger cap and hull are held with rivets. I do have a few coming loose in the port rear. The rub rail is held on by screws. These back out occasionally, but are easily tightened.

I would suggest to anyone to examine the spacing/condition of the screws that hold your cap to the hull. Its not an easy job, but well worth it when its done correctly.

I'm thinking that I need to keep a lot of you guys off my boat. I don't seem to have most of the boat, trailer, motor problems you all suffer-:lol:!

All you have to do is keep it off of St Clair! This lake will break whatever you have. from 10-60 feet long!

I hear that. We have a few big lakes down here that can bounce a boat on around windy days.

No wind this weekend and at LEAST 10,000 boats on the lake.....it will break you and your boat QUICK!

Lake of the Ozarks is like that; I particularly love the "rogue" waves that come from a cigar boat that may have passed several minutes earlier on the main lake. One second you're floating aimlessly in a cove and the next second you've been launched like a jac. in the box from your pedestal seat.

The lake is a bathtub from all the wakes going every which way...

Yeah-the most dangerous spot to be is at the intersection of Big Wave and Bigger Wave.

Lake Winnipesaukee in NH gets the same way from the boat wakes. It can be pretty bad out there in the summer months. There are so many people out thhere that have 50'+ cabin cruisers it really gets chopped up bad. I read somewhere that there is about 1 boat per acre at any given time out there on the weekends, I dont know if i believe that figure( that would be 45000 boats) but it is very busy and very choppy on weekends. I call it mogul boating since it looks liek a mogul field on a ski slope. When its at full song i dont care what brand of bassboat your in it can beat you and the boat up bigtime. When the wind and the boat waves mix it can be a real mess.

Having to deal with loose screws on the rubrail is something i have had to do on all of my bass boats. And every time i put them in with a little 3M 5200 squirted in the hole followed up by the screw and that has taken care of it almost permanently. Like Mini does I now yank the cover off the rail first thing when i get the boat and make sure there are enough screws, none broken and 5200 them right away. Thats been a good combo for me since i rarely have to tighten a screw anymore on my boats.

Good advice.

you should see what the lake looks lik eon a day like this. these are arial photos of a raft off for charity in muscamoot bay. just for reference, the line is over 3 miles long and has a row of boats on each side. not to mention the boats on the outskirts....

http://www.aerialpics.com/J/rafting8-07.html

Wow, thats a lot of boats right there. That must be one heck of a party....

Here is what the chop looks like on Winni. This shot is a below average chop but its that come from every way stuff that we all love.

9-2-07_East_view_of_Broads_toward_RS_Is.jpg

Can't say that I've seen that on any of my locals. That's the upside of being in the sticks fishing-wise.

I am a firm believer that trailering as far as I do exacts a lot of stress on my boat.

More than fishing the rough stuff. I bounce the living crap out of my boat (on the trailer) every year. Mini and Mac have some of the rankest roads in the country. You know when you see a dump truck with 22 wheels, they haul some heavy stuff. My pull to Wisconsin can be over some rough roads and there is always construction!! I swear 99% of the stress cracks that I have are from trailering.

TOXIC

Thanks for the info. I never would of thought to check these screws. Will replace with larger diameter ones and silicon them in.Need to do it soon be cause water temps dropping and smallies on the connecticut river starting to feed.

Thanks again

Mike

Jim,

I will have to take a picture sometime.....what you have shown is left over on a Sunday morning from the traffic on a Saturday....lol

It looks the same in the afternoon, but taller.

Our roads suck.

Mini is right, their roads SUCK!!! Scares me to see the boat bouncing on the trailer like that!

Mini,

Thats funny. Actually that pict was taken in sept after labor day when things start to calm down a little. In the summer months it gets pretty bad there have been days with 3 footers from the chop alone. Im sure St Clair gets that way or even worse. You know the chop is bas when your taking waves over the bow when fishing and if you get up off the seat there is a good chance your going in the drink.

I used to fish Winni in a 15'7" boat in that stuff. It was an adventure for sure but i managed. I laugh at the guys who question how i can fish out there in a 18'7" boat because its "too rough".

Latest posts

Back