Crazy Alarms

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The bull

Reaction score
Have a 1998 nitro with 225efi that is giving crazy alarms not solid alarm or 4 beeps but kinda eratic new thermostat water pump gives alarm sometimes and sometimes not . Then sometimes not long after running and has went into limp mode and wouldn't get on plane . Any suggestions was told could unhook the blue and tan wire to check ?

It that engine has the reservoir oil tank, there is a low oil sensor that can malfunction making the system think that oil is low or empty. I had a later model Merc. that used a magnet sensor. the magnet came lose so the system kept indicating low oil on a radom basis. This will trigger the limp mode you speak of. It's a long shot but check if this applies.

Yelp, had the same problem with a 2001 Merc. The magnet separated from the float. The alarm would sound on acceleration and cruising (at times). I was able to fish the float out of the tank and super glued the two pieces back together.
There are some videos posted on this repair.
I was able to repair the float without removing the tank.
Vic

Gonna try and post alarm video of it will . Want let me post them up can anyone help?

I had similar problems with my Optimax 225 recently. I tried all of the fixes with different sensors and bypasses etc. Then recently I found a fishing forum where someone with a similar problem fixed it by replacing the battery (Optimax apparently require a minimum of 1,000CCA). I had never had problems starting my engine and always seemed to have charge in my battery (My battery was one year old and rated at 900 CCA). I was so frustrated by the problem of constant alarms and limp mode, that I thought that I would try this solution. Swapped the battery out for a new one rated at 1,100 CCA and have no alarms since.

It seems that the battery was sending "ghost signals" to the ECU on the engine and the ECU was interpreting it as an oil problem and triggering an alarm.

May be worth a try. Good luck.

Batt i have is a 1000 cca new last yr and I also keep a batt tender on it .

Latest posts

Back