Crankbait Rod choice,

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass Tracker

Reaction score
HI all

I am going to purchase a new Crank rod and reel. I want the Abu Garcia Revo SX reel but at $160 I am opting to go with the Bass Pro Rick Clunn 5:4:1 since it is on sale this week for only $79.99

But as far as rods go, I want this to be for mainlly fishing deeper structure approx 10'-25' so I am having a hard time selecting a rod.

I have an Abu Garcia Vendetta for my drop shot rod and I love it. By far my favorite rod I own. And I see that they offer a 7'6 MH Fast Graphite Rod, and also a 7'3 MH Moderate Graphite Rod also.

I also see the BPS Crankstick rod and the Skeete Reese Wright&Mcgill Rods have some great reviews..

I cant decide between finding a Glass rod or staying with the Graphite and was wondering what everyone here thinks?

Thanks

For bigger, deeper cranks I prefer the longest rod comfortable for chunking and tip down to or under the water's edge for reeling. A graphite for some backbone is my preference so you don't find the plug in your backside loading up for a long cast. :lol: (G. Loomis IMX 7' 10" Med./Fast action) Good luck! ;)

Personally I prefer fiberglass for crankbaits. I like the limberness they have while still have some backbone that i am yet to find in any graphite rod. I own a coupld ST Croix 7' M ProGlass rods that i really like a lot for both cranks and spinnerbaits. I wish they still made them i would buy another in a heartbeat.

i have the h20 crankbait rod from academy sports and its awesome for around 40 bucks

Fiberglass is good but, most of the higher end graphite rods will have some that have enough "tip" forgiveness and not be as heavy as glass. I've been using the Browning rods for a few years now and they work well in a Medium and Medium light action for cranks.

I have been using the new (2010 model) 7'6" BPS Crankin Stick with GREAT success!

I just picked up an American Rodsmith limit stix to try out last month. Fished with it a couple of times last month and it seemed to perform really well despite not catching any fish on it. Picked it up on sale at Academy for bout 60 bucks.

I just ordered a Rosewood 7'6" Crankbait MH MF from Denali Rods.

Does the BPS Crank Stick handle Deep Divers such as the Norman DD22 and Rapala DT20 very well? or is a struggle? Thanks all

not a struggle at all as far as I am concerned

Thanks Mini and all

Going to Bass Pro this weekend and going to get some hands on with about 5 that I have decided from. Thanks again

Don't forget to check out the Browning Medallion for cranks.

Actually ended up with the Browning Silaflex MH 7' Glass rod. It came down to the BPS crankstick and the Browning. I liked the BPS crank stick alot due to the size 7'10" but the saved money (approx $40 cheaper for the browning compared to the BPS crankstick) went towards my new 5:4:1 Reel. It is a little on the heavy side but I look at it like it was only a $40 rod, if in fact i dont like it. I only lost $40 and will go back for the BPS crank stick.

Thanks for the tips all. Cant wait for the snow to melt

Next time somebody wants a crank rod...The Medallions have good action without adding weight. And I dang near checked every rod they have.

I have two crankin' rods...(1) 6'6" Med.Light Baitcaster and a 6'10" Med. Spinning Outfit that covers most all my crankin'.

Latest posts

Back