Crankbait Gear Ratio Opinions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLsportsman

Reaction score
I understand the theory or marketing behind low gear ratios keeping crankbaits down to depth. Does anyone believe you can achieve the same results by having the discipline or situational awareness with a higher gear ratio? I know sometimes it takes me a few casts to remember to slow down.

DM

Remember, it is not only slowing down it is the line retrieval per handle crank so, slowing down won't necessarily keep the bait at depth because you are spooling less line on the retrieve. Also, deep cranking is a real arm and wrist burner without the right gear...if you want to do it for any length of time that is.

Agree...for me it's easier to speed up than remembering to slow down.

When I'm slow rollin' spinnerbaits, I don't use anything faster than a 5.3 retrieve.

I use higher speed 6.3:1 or 6.4:1 for all my crankbaits except those that go over 16'. The deep divers will wear you out. I fish my baits faster than most and look for the reaction strikes. If I want to slow down I will crank the bait down until it his bottom and pull the rod and then crank up the slack.

Goog luck

Latest posts

Back