Cracked Weld on Trailer Fender

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglas

Reaction score
It appears as if one of the welds which attaches a trailer fender brace to the main trailer has cracked. The most likely culprit was probably due to misalignment of the boat when loading onto the trailer. My bad :-( In any case, i've taken a few pictures of the crack. I'm thinking that i can just take this into a trailer repair shop and have them reweld the joint, but thought I'd ask this broader audience to tap into their expertise.

Take a look at the picture. You may need to zoom in a few times. I have circled the broken weld with a marker.

Photo 1: Reference picture
Photo 2: Picture of Broken Weld

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Do you have a friend that you trust to weld this? maybe a case of beer or two, might be cheaper than taking it to a shop. Any shop that welds can do this, meaning it doesn't have to be a trailer shop.

OK it looks to me like a bad weld. How old is the trailer? If it is still under warranty take it back to the dealership and have them look at it. Maybe they can get it covered or at least repair it at a reasonable price.

Anybody with a mig welder (or tig) can repair that in about 10-15 minutes. The powder coat an inch adjacent to it, is going to be toasted.

Make sure they use a heat barrier putty next to the weld, it will greatly localize the heat damage to the powder coat.

Or

Just tack the bottom and be done with it.

Edit: I see the picture, the crack is down low on the inside. No worry of marring the upper surface of powder coating.

Latest posts

Back