Continuous Warning Horn

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went of yesterday on the lake and at start-up at the launch, I got a continuous loud beep sound. It went away, so I fished the lake for about three hour and on the return start up, I got the beep sound again. So heading back to the launch the RPM dropped for 3000 to 2000 and the throttle would not advance, however I did not loose power. I was told the Guardian protection system on the motor kicked in. I had the water pump impeller changed last spring and I got a steady flow of water coming from the pee hole. Any thoughts as to what it could be? I dropped it off at Cabelas to get a diagnostic check from the ECU, however they are backed up for the next couple of weeks. I'm running a 2013 Nitro Z-7 with a Mercury 150hp Pro XS.

Possible cause can be the the impeller, the fuel filter, empty oil reserve tank to name a few. I listed the impeller because I had a 2000 mercury optimax and when I towed my kids behind the boat, I had to change the impeller annually.
Hope this helps

I have 2015 Nitro Z-7 with 150 Four Stroke. Had same thing happen and was thinking it could be water pump going bad! The next time it did it I stopped and noticed the water stream was not quite as good as I remembered, so I went ahead and cleared the hole with a wire and that seemed to be the trick! Really clear the stream hole and see if you get full rpms. That's all I got for ya.

Yep, guess what, I to have a continues alarm tone. no stream out the engine...guess I will try to clean out the stream hole and see if that does the trick

If a magnet in the oil tank has fallen off the float valve mechanism, inside the tank, it will cause a false low oil indication- alarm sounds yet oil and water flow are ok. I had this happen to me with the 115Pro XS. I think the oil tank set up was the same on the 150 two-cycle engines durng that time period-

^^^^^ This is the one that got me on my 2000 merc 90. The magnet fell off the float (glued to a cork and submersed in oil and under vibration. :/)

Got a continuous tone on the way in about 1 mile from the dock.. shut the motor down and let it cool. Turned on the key and the alarm sounded immediately. Run for a bit then shut it off. Had plenty of oil in the tank. engine cool. WTH. It was hot and my daughter said "we're going to die out here!!!!" :)

Got home and it was still doing the same thing. Found out there is a reed switch under the tank that detects the magnet. When I checked the state of the reed switch it was closed. When I pulled the reed switch from the tank it was open. :( A replacement tank was very expensive for what it was so I just pulled the plug on the tank reed switch. The alarm system was a wired "OR" configuration so if the tank or temp sensor or something else I forgot is not working it sounds the alarm. disconnecting on only eliminates it from the OR function. I've never needed an oil monitor before and dont need one now so I just disabled it and its been happy ever sense. Yours seens different. If the magnet fell off it would always sound.

Reed the manual and find out what things would sound that alarm then look for the wires that feed them. if you have a meter, you can shut the engine down, pull the cowling and start disconnecting the items one by one to see which one it is.

All, thanks for the replies. I kind of think it might be the oil level sensor. I might go and pick up the boat today and trouble-shoot the oil tank sensor, if Cabelas have not gotten around to it yet.

From my Mercury 115 Optimax Manual

Don't know if they are all the same but maybe it will help.

Attachments

• 20211006_083847.jpg
    20211006_083847.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 28
  • 20211006_083858.jpg
    20211006_083858.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 29
  • 20211006_083904.jpg
    20211006_083904.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 31
All, thanks for the replies. I kind of think it might be the oil level sensor. I might go and pick up the boat today and trouble-shoot the oil tank sensor, if Cabelas have not gotten around to it yet.
Found out today that the oil tank sensor was bad. So I got a new oil tank on order. Hope that solve the problem.

Found out today that the oil tank sensor was bad. So I got a new oil tank on order. Hope that solve the problem.
Changed the oil tank and all is well, these tanks has a magnet inside that can’t be removed without destroying the tank

Attachments

• CA596E44-7E07-4D4D-9105-79B4FA922902.jpeg
    CA596E44-7E07-4D4D-9105-79B4FA922902.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 14
Changed the oil tank and all is well, these tanks has a magnet inside that can’t be removed without destroying the tank
Thanks for the follow up- I had the same thing happen on a 115 ProXS that I bought new in 2012. It was the worst engine that I ever owned. all sorts of weird problems with it. after two years, and many trips to the dealership, it finally ran right. Had to have coil packs replaced 5 times. Original Air pump belt was too small and tore up the bearings.. fortunately, all under warranty....
Anyway, I hope that your engine problems are over,,,.

Latest posts

Back