Constant warning noise

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Pategas

Reaction score
Terribly loud steady warning noise on 2000 Nitro 205 sport. 150 mercury xr6 nitro series motor. 50 hours or less on motor. New block in 2009. Warning goes off only while under load. 5 passengers and tubing for example. 2-3 people and running hard is fine. checked oil res in lower deck and it was low. I added 2 quarts and it still will have the steady alarm under load. I have never had a warning go off before. So far I found it could be a magnet on the float in oil res. Not sure if this is in the lower res or the one on the motor. Oil res on motor is full. Any other ideas on what this may be?

Runs fine, steady stream of water. Water pump replaced when block was replaced. Hole shots are perfect and planes quickly. No loss of power. No strange noises. Starts fine.

Thanks for any input you may have. Stuff like this really bothers me when I can not figure it out!!!!!

I would check your oil pickup in the engine tank to make sure the filter head isn't gummed up and restricting flow under load. It is a fairly common issue over time for it to have an algae like growth build up and restrict flow. Also look for any pinched lines or crumbling, deteriorated, lines in your pickup and air pump oil lines. Loss of vacuum and/or air pressure to the supply tank can limit flow. If you are sure you have clear, clean lines and no obstructions it could be a bad engine oil tank sensor. These are the things that come to my mind, pretty much in the order of commonality. Good luck! ;)

"Water pump replaced when block was replaced."

If it has not been replaced since 2009, that would be the FIRST thing I would do...it should be replaced annually! Yours is 4 years old.

RH

I thought solid tone was overheat and timed tone was oil? Mine would... beep....beeep.....beep when my upper tank was cracked.

FYI- same problem on 2006 200hp optimax. Mine was a oil tank sensor also.Just got it fixed at certified Mercury dealer ,cost $301. good trouble shooting ,Dan.
Brantley

LOW OIL LEVEL: The low oil level warning is activate when the remaining oil in the mounted oil resevoir tank drops below 50 fl. oz.... WARNING HORN EMITS A SERIES OF FOUR BEEPS.

ENGINE OVERHEAT: HORN SOUNDS CONTINUOUSLY

ENGINE OVERSPEED: INTERMITTENT BEEP until engine speed drops below MAXIMUM RPM.

ELECTRICAL SENSOR NOT FUNCTIONING: If the TPS, MAP, or CTS is not functioning, or is out of it's "pre-programmed diagnostic range", the warning horn will sound INTERMITTENTLY.

WATER IN FUEL WARNING: SERIES OF FOUR BEEPS.

These warnings were intended to be utilized with a "WARNING LIGHT GAUGE" (which provided additional information via lighted warning lights).

sorry to bring up such an old thread, however yesterday out on the water after we were done fishing I went to start the boat and as soon as I turned the key on it just started beeping continuously, we got it back and got it home. Today I checked to make sure that water was running through it when it was started and it is, I'm not low on oil, and I'm not too sure what else could be the issue. It does start and run but that beeping is just a constant beep. And like I said it starts beeping right after you turn the key, the first initial beep that is normal then a constant beep after that.I don't even have to start the engine and the beep just goes on and on.

My boat is a 1996 Nitro Sport 185 SF with a Mercury 125

Latest posts

Back