Cold weather gloves.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Foster2

Reaction score
Since the winter will not end here in New England, I have starting looking for a good pair of fishing gloves. My hands froze last year due to not being well prepared on my first club tournament. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

John

I use tight fitting neoprene gloves from wallyworld.They work great.

Saw a pro on TV the other day suggest winter golf golves. Haven't tried it but it sounds good. I'm hoping my need for gloves has passed for this year.

Harpo

I also bought a pair of the tight fitting and thin neoprene type last fall. Like a seal skin type. After years of suffering without the right stuff, I also found that keeping your hands dry is most of the battle. I've dedicated one compartment in the boat for all that weather related stuff. I leave it on there so I never forget any of them.

John:

I've fished in weather as cold as -7F. Keeping your hands warm, while retaining the ability to fish, is a real challenge. I tried ski gloves, mittens and even the neoprene gloves (which are fine for wade fishing in cold streams, but my hands would perspire and if the gloves are too tight, they can cut your circulation off to your fingers).

My solution is two fold: I have a pair of Cabela's fleece gloves with neoprene palms and slit fingers for my index finger and my thumb. I can fold back the tips and velcro them in place to tie knots or thread leaders. The gloves are black, comfortable and UNBELIEVABLY warm for how thin they are. There is also a velcro strap across the wrist to keep them tight.

If its too cold even for these gloves, I have an oversize pair of wool, fingerless gloves that I will pull on over the fleece gloves. The tips of my fingers may get a bit cold, but the rest of my hand stays nice and toasty.

I can also just fish with the fingerless wool gloves if the fleece gloves are overkill.

John, I have spent years trying to find gloves to keep my hands warm while fishing, cut them really bad when I was younger & circulation is very bad.I've tried chemical hand warmers,hand warmers you put a fuel stick in and anything else anybody could think of.

Finally found the answer last year, heated snowmobile gloves. They are very thin & you wear them inside another pair of gloves, I wear a pair of the rubber coated work gloves keeps your hands dry & warm. They can be used with a battery pack you hang on your belt or with a plug in cigarette lighter adaptor.

Bit on the pricey side $50 but worth every penny to me.

If you want to check them out, go to kreamersports.com

John - I fish here in Atlanta, and it does NOT get as cold as it does up north, but for those freezing days I picked up at BPS the fleece gloves that have the fingertips cut off and the thump that slit to cover or be opened. I tried the pair that has all the fingertips attached (but each can be pulled back to allow your fingertips to be out) but I doesn't get that cold down here.

Trep

Fleece and Wool are great if its dry out. But when it gets wet it just absorbs water like a sponge. Last year i was fishing a club tourney in a snow/ice/rain storm it was bitter cold, windy and generally nasty. I forgot my neoprene gloves and wore my fingerless wool ones. that day my hands were so cold i may as well have been wearing nothing on my hands. I also did something stupid. when i put on my rain gear i tucked the gloves up under the sleeves. my rainjackes also has a fleece linet and because the fleece and gloves were touching the fleese sucked up a bunch of water. i was wet all the way up to my shoulders. while the rest of me was dry. on a wet day go with neoprene if its dry wool or fleece are great. northern bass sells those slit finger neoprene ones i mentioned before as well as finglerless wool. I keep both in my boat at all times now.

Jim: I agree with you. If it's raining, wool and fleece aren't the thing to wear (although with polarfleece, you can wring out 90-some percent of the absorbed water). For times when its cold AND raining I have a pair of Gore-tex ski gloves to wear while I'm driving the boat. For fishing, I have a pair of neoprene Glacier gloves with the fold-back fingertips on both thumbs and forefingers. Still, my hands will get cold and wet inside the neoprene, so I'll periodically stop fishing and put on the ski gloves to warm up my hands.

Latest posts

Back