Clear Coat Chipping

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Waters

Reaction score
Hey guys, my son's 1991 Nitro 170TF has the clear coat chipping all around the top and inside the boat. Using fine grit wet sandpaper we can easily sand them down and smooth everything down. Question is, do I apply a clear gel coat, clear coat for fiberglass or just continue to buff smooth with ultrafine paper and buffing compound? Your experiences are appreciated. Thanks, Mark

Hey guys, my son's 1991 Nitro 170TF has the clear coat chipping all around the top and inside the boat. Using fine grit wet sandpaper we can easily sand them down and smooth everything down. Question is, do I apply a clear gel coat, clear coat for fiberglass or just continue to buff smooth with ultrafine paper and buffing compound? Your experiences are appreciated. Thanks, Mark

I have the same thing going on with a 2000 Tracker Nitro 175 Sport. I sanded it and put on some Tuff Coat Epoxy Resin and Hardner. I goes on watery and white and dries clear and looks new. I don't know how long it will last, because it only been 2 weeks.

Thanks. I have been wet sanding it with grit down to 5000 and using buffing compound and my test areas are looking good. Let me know how the clear coat holds up.

Latest posts

Back