Cleaning a Stainless Steel Prop

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Cooke

Reaction score
I need suggestions on cleaning a stainless steel prop that has accumulated a deposit build up from sitting in water. It is almost like a hard water deposit build up. I tried a 50/50 vinegar & water solution and it barely affects it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. great site Rich! I vote #1

Same here, but I have small rust pitting. Didn't think stainless could rust.

Rob

Here's a good fix also!! LOL...Find some of the stinkiest black muck you can find,...lower your prop in it and hammer it!! It'll shine that prop up like a jewler's wheel!! LOL!! Happened to me by accident one year,....got my boat stuck in that stuff,....by the time i got out, my prop was shinier than the day it was new!!! Couldn't believe it!!!

Wouldn't try it though,...just a funny story to let you know that black muck makes a fine polish at 3000 RPM's!! LOL

Try a tube of Weenol Mag Wheel Polish. You'll find it at motorhead shops or J.C. Whitney. I use a buffer head on a cordless Dremel to polish it off after rubbing it in thick. Its about a half hour ordeal that keeps your prop like new for six months a treatment. Just wipe off the prop when you towel off the hull and go. I hope it helps.

I polish my prop by running 60 mph at 5200 RPMs down the Inland Sea of Lake Champlain on a calm day!!! Nothing sticks to it! Sorry, I couldn't resist!!!

Bob G.

Latest posts

Back