Clean up your ACT!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
Got this from BassFan.com.......GREAT ideas!!!

The Tidy Boat Man

by Dave Scroppo - 12.Dec.2002

The secret for cleaning your dirty boat is under your kitchen sink

After a hard few days fishing in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, on mineral-filled freshwater lakes that left hull and outboard flecked with water spots and white scale, you'd think it would have taken a chisel to pry the crud loose. But Joe Beech, maker of JNB Originals specialty walleye tackle and all-around handyman, pulled out a spray bottle, spritzed the stains and wiped clean with a towel.

His magic elixir? Toilet bowl cleaner ($1.89 for 32 ounces) diluted with water.

In keeping with Beech's resourcefulness, we've assembled a collection of unexpected cleaners and solvents that do the job quickly and inexpensively. Best of all, these boater's little helpers are waiting in the cupboard or under the kitchen sink, ready for serious action beyond their more mundane uses.

Link to "General boat maintenance and winterizing" sidebar

The Works

With The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner, elbow grease is at a minimum when swabbing a water-stained fiberglass hull, the plastic hood of an outboard or an engine's metal drive-shaft housing where heat bakes on white gunk like cake frosting. After all, the solvent is made to remove lime scale and hard-water buildup. To press into action, dilute The Works in a spray bottle 4-to-1 with water, then squirt on and wipe off. Warning: Be sure you get toilet bowl cleanser, not drain cleaner, which might very well eat a hole in your hull.

Lemon juice

It's no secret that fish and lemon juice go together. But in this case, citrus doesn't complement fish

Mac,

Thanks for the info. Maybe Rich can put it in the Grab Bag for future reference because I will surely forget everything that I learn today by tonight!!!

Bob G.

OK Mac since you're already got the 2006 GM designs done, since you're surfing for a living LOL What does it say to clean that ALL important ALUMINIUM??

Now if you fiberglass guys could work out your personal hygiene issues... Tox might use that bowl cleaner on his shorts.... Mac...you can use that oven cleaner to scrape off "Nitro" and then a magic marker to put on "Ringer"... till you get your new ride... you can practice sitting in your boat and waving like Queen Elizabeth as you are driven to the weigh-in... Rob can use the Lemon Juice in his weekly bath water... LOL

Bye Boys..

Didn't know you guys had to clean aluminum........you always told us they're perfect as is!!! LOL

Don't know what I'd do if my boat tarnished...LOL!! I'll bet it turns your skin green like bad jewelry too!! Truthfully...I would guess mag cleaner would work the best, I assume getting an even finish is the hard part.

TOXIC

(If you rub that tin hard enough, a genie might appear and grant your wish for a glass boat hee, hee).

I know that I mentioned this a few months ago. At the local Dollar General Store (many discount stores that have their own similar brand) I buy the generic form of Simple Green. It takes scum off the side of the boat with ease. I have also been using the generic form of the "orange cleaner/de-greaser). While it works similar to the green stuff on scum on the outside of the boat, it woks great on the carpet inside. I dripped some scent onmy boat's carpet. It neutralized it, cleaned it up without a stain, and made the entire boat smell like oranges when I took the cover off it the next time...

Tox - Well the boat does a darn good job of cleaning itself, but every once in a while (once since i've owned her in going on 3 years ) she asks me to wipe a scum line or 2 off her waist. I've just grabbed a towel after a run a the lake and it comes off with ease!! But I figure sometime in the next 30-40 years she might get a stain on her from all those FISH who MUST be bumping into her as the sure don't get into my BOAT!!

dang, if I used enough orange cleaner to clean my entire carpet I may die of orange poisining the next time I took my cover off.

Latest posts

Back