Classic Weigh In - Sunday (kinda long)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Okay, here is the inside scoop, by your unofficial NTOWS Sideline Reporter.

The 'pre-show' was supposed to start around 2:30PM with live entertainment at the coliseium. Headed out about 2:00PM, and was in an almost packed house at about 2:40PM with the band a blaring. Nice entertainment, but loud.

If you arrived after about 3:00PM, there was trouble getting a seat. And no, the coliseium was not FULL. The upper deck was curtained off, and several areas (like behind the jumbotron), were roped off also. Probably between 9-12,000 in attendance.

After the show went off stage, they did some announcements and such, and then did the Fish Fishburne intro. On TV, there was only a brief glimpse of it, but it played out on the screens in the building. They called on him twice, and he didn't show up. Then they show him on the side of the road (supposedly broken down), hitching a ride. The Orange County Chopper guys came up (all three - Mikey, Paul Jr. and Paul Sr.), gave fish an OCC red pullover hat to wear, and put him on the back of Paul Sr.'s bike. They then made the grand entrance. Not a bad touch for those in the stands.

Weigh in commenced just a little past 3:40PM in the afternoon. Kevin VanDam was one of the first to weigh in. At first, I thought that was a bad sign, but they wanted his name up on the leader board for maximum effect (after all, they know approximately how much everyone has).

In the meantime, they drew for the Abu Garcia 'Cast for a Million' competition. A teenage gal (about 16), who has never fished was the lucky contestant. Took her back stage to let her choose a weapon, and to practice. The deal was that you were supposed to get one chance at casting to a 12" target from 60'. What we/you weren't told, was that it was a giant inflatable bass. When inflated, it pobably stood 20-30 feet in the air. The target was a bucket painted red, in the bass's mouth. it was up in the air at least 25 feet. Virtually a certainy that nobody was going to hit it. Consolation was $500.00. A pretty 'cheap' promotion, in my view.

So, for the next 2 1/2 hours, we proceeded through the weigh in till we got to the Super Six. Setting up the Super Six took about 10-15 minutes.

The Super Six weigh-in went on TV, just about how it went in person. However, VanDam's entrance for the 'hot seat' as the leader, was done twice. They did it, then had to have Kevin go back down and do it again.

But here's the real deal.

How many of you thought that you were watching a live weigh in (meaning, as it happened)? You weren't. Taka was crowned about 6:15PM or so. I left the coliseium going to the house, at about 6:40PM - after they gave away the boat.

By the way, you wouldn't believe the number of people that left immediately after Taka was crowned, fully well knowing that you HAD TO BE IN THE COLISEIUM to win the boat. They drew a name, and she was a no-show. Then they drew again, and a Federation Angler from Charlotte won. Nice.

I had a great time over the weekend at the show and the weigh in (even though I was there almost 4 hours). Enjoyed meeting Mac, Mini and Sue; and of course the pro's.

Other than our NTOWS bretheren, the three I enjoyed talking with the most (in no order) were: Woo Daves, Rick Clunn and Ray Scott. I was most impressed that both Rick and Ray (I feel like I'm on a first name basis with them now - at least from my end!), both thanked me for being a Federation Angler and the work that the Federation does. Very sincere.

Can't wait for it to return here. Nothing but really great comments from most of the pro's on their experience here. Very complimentary towards Charlotte, the people, and how they were treated by the community.

Tex

Also, one other note.

We in the building, did not see/hear any of the commentary from Ron Franklin/Jerry McKinnis or the Shaw Grigsby team. We could see them, but none of that was on our screens or could be heard.

Interesting to see several things going on at once, but then see it on TV later and find that it 'appears' only one thing is actually happening.

Tex

So, Tex..... On a scale of 1 to 10..... Where would you rate the inside show?

A good 8, if you have never been to one before. If you have been, then maybe a 6 or 7.

Basically, you have to understand that it's going to take awhile, and there is going to be some 'down time'. They throw some gifts to the audience (from time to time), and run little contests in the stands - answer this question, and you win a prize (questions are pretty easy and you can ask the crowd for help).

It's not something for smaller kids, as they don't get 'it', and will be bored silly. Saw too many people there with 2 and 3 year olds, who were really a lot to handle, quickly.

I think for the most part, that the crowd would have been smaller, except for the fact that several local anglers (Quinn and Stone) were both in the hunt and in the Super Six.

Tex

Nope. They are being really closed mouthed about it. I talked with Ray Scott for about 5 minutes on Friday. That was one subject I brought up. He simply said that they would have a series of 1 day tourneys starting in January. No other details.

They are still working out what/when, and it probably won't be announced until after all the BFL schedules (and agreements with lakes/goverment entities/marina's etc. are complete).

While we would like to have answers now, this was just the 'teaser'.

I never heard any further information from anyone.

Tex

It will mostly be in the Eastern and South Eastern states for 2005. Nothing planned for the Northern States until 2006. It will directly follow the BFL circuit....(I.E. if a BFL tournament is located on lake X on saturday,...the new BASS Weekend Trail will be on lake X on sunday!!)..Entry fees will be on par with the BFL's, but I don't know any other info as far as paybacks, etc. I was given this info by our Federation President, who attended the meetings.

Just got home, first post I read.

Nice job TT on the reporting. Although, the girl that cast for a million was over 18 (looked much younger AND had never fished before).

The weigh-in was WAY TOO LONG! I dont care if it is for TV......you cannot expect a young person to sit there for that long and not get bored, just like fishing. Have to keep them entertained and believe me the entertainment that was shown in the down times had NOTHING to do with kids.

Mini

PS If merc/triton give out the "thundersticks" next year I am not attending.

Hey, those thundersticks are pretty cool. Going to use mine to keep the wife in line (or is it the other way around???).

Mac - thanks for the added info on the new Trail. We have our Federation meeting this upcoming weekend, so maybe we will hear something then.

Tex

Tex,

i never did make it to the lake on friday. the thought of getting up at 3am to see the launch at 630am and the thought of all the boat traffic scared me away.

watched sunday am about 830am and it went off at 9am and started another show. the # caught and # in the boat shrunk between the 2 shows. figured they just got more accurate numbers. about 930, realized it was a rerun of the show earlier that same morning. kindof anti-climatic to say the least.

thought the weigh in show last night was ok.

bryan

You've probabaly seen them on TV in basketball games.

They are plastic 'blow up' sticks, about the size of a coke can (around), and about 2 to 2 1/2 feet long. You blow them up, and then use them to 'applaud' with. If you do them just right, they make a hell of a noise. Keeps the wear and tear down on your hands, from all the clapping.

Tex

Back