Clarifications on Alabama Rig for Tennessee Anglers

• Thread starter Jeffry Skidmore
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffry Skidmore

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just spoke on the phone with a representative of the TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency)from the Law Enforcement Dept. about the use of the Al. Rig in Tenn. lakes and streams. Straight from the horse's mouth;

1.) You are able to use the 5-wire Alabama Rig *provided* you only use 3 baits.

2.) You may not put *anything* on the other 2 wires. Someone suggested on here that you use just the willow blades and no hooks( I thought that was a great idea). Nope. Not in Tennessee. Anything other than the swivel that comes on the wires is considered a "bait" in Tennesee. That means blades, soft plastics without a hook, a BLT, car keys, etc.,etc.. Nada, zilch, zero, don't do it.

I asked if he anticipated a change in the future (given the extreme popularity of these things), to which he replied that "they are going to be reviewing the regulation at the next meeting, but I cannot say if they will change it or not."

So,there you have it. It would be wise to check your local regs in your state before you throw it.

If you watched the most recent FLW tourny on Kentucky Lake you would have seen guys on the Tenn side doing that exact thing. They were throwing the A Rig with 2 bare wires hanging off. I believe the actually removed the swivels as well....

A friend of mine fished that tourney, and if I'm not mistaken, he told me he was able to string it up full on the KY side, but had to dismantle it on the TN side. I have a buddy who is making a 3-wire rig for use in our home waters. Just wait for the dogfights to start this summer; it's gonna be interesting.

I am trying something this spring at Dale Hollow I have never tried yet that is similar but legal I think....Double FLUKE! Can't imagine having two 4's or more pulling your string!

I'm gonna try the 5-wire tomorrow (if I get the chance) with three 4" Storm Wild Eyed Shad. It'll be heavy, but hopefully it'll draw in a big 'un!!:D

Latest posts

Back