Circle hooks for walleyes

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
I just got a shipment of sizes 2 - 8 circle hooks(Eagle Claw) I'm tying spinner rigs for eyes and was wondering if anyone else has tried circles this small.

fatrap

I have a friend in Kingsville Ontario that has a custom bait and tackle shop. I get all my walleye lures from him and I will ask his opinion.
He has made some of the best worm harness for me. All my friends in the western basin of Lake Erie always want to use them, I always had enough.
cq

I've been using #4 Owner mutu light circle hooks (offset shank circles) for the past month and absolutely love them and have caught 2lb white bass up to 20lb stripers on them with no issue, and gut hooking went down to about 20% tops.

The key seems to be either snelling or "quick-snelling," I quick snell mine personally and seems to work great. It's replaced the palomar knot for me.

Here is his reply. Hope it helps. I asked about spinners and if this is spinner or spinner (worm) harness.
"I use a #4 wide gap on the bottom & a #1 VMC octopus for the second hook. I've never used a circle hook because you have to let the fish swallow the hook to get a good hook up from what I've. Just my opinion have a good one bud."

My concern is mostly that I've been fishing with a lot of people that can't feel a bite so I rigged a couple size four's that a guide at the resort I stayed at gave me. I told my fishing partners to just wait till the pole bent then start reeling. Seemed to work fine so I boughs some. It's too hot here to go and try them.
fatrap

I normally go out late afternoon and return after dark, since we moved and now have a use of a private dock and landing, I just leave the boat at the dock and trailer the next morning. I need to buy solar lights and mount on the dock post, help in finding way back at night. The bay off the main lake is shallow and you need to follow the creek channel (normal is 8 to 12 feet). I have seen dummies ground all kinds of boats and pontoons in the middle of the bay. I have anchored at the shallow parts and wadded the stumps and drift logs. Great fun with a fly rod.

cq

Latest posts

Back