chiming problems

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelly taylor

Reaction score
i purchased a 2012 z7 with a 150 the trim only goes up a 1/4 will not threw a rooster and it chimes between 63-70 mph (bad) is this normal or can i raise motor one notch and fix problem. Bass pro shop said it does that my thought why did i buy a performance boat if i cant get the performance out of it. Ihave spoke with other boat owners of different brands and they have move motor up need to no from nitro owners ..thanks

I'm asuming you mean chine walking. I've never seen a 150 run 70 mph. Low 60s is good don't trim your motor up so much and it won't do that.

something is off. like said, that motor won't push that boat 70mph. low 60s is about all it will get. I get 70 with my 200hp. YOu don't want a rooster tail. Rooster tails mean the boat is improperly setup and the prop thrust is simply being wasted by blowing water into the air. the tail should be about the height of the cowl at wide open throttle. also, on the guage, when you are trimming at wide open throttle it will not trim all the way up on the guage. you are probaly trimmed out and overtrimming. Just get used to driving it at wot without trimming too much and then increase little by little.

When it starts to walk...bump the trim DOWN until it stops, then bump up slowly until you hit the "sweet spot". The trim is not meant to travel all the way up and every boat is different as to where it likes to run. What are your RPMS at WOT? Where is the motor mounted now? What is your prop to pad measurement? What prop are you running? There are a lot of factors to setting up a boat. Most dealerships set them to achieve moderation in every category and it is up to you if you want to start tinkering to get more speed...better holeshot...etc.

Your correct Fatrap, my Nitro 640 only has a 60HP on it but I'm yet to have a bass I've caught ask me why did it take you so long to get here....lol:D:D

I know exactly how you feel,my z7 does the same thing,you get up over 60 mph,when this thing should really start performing,and it starts going out of control,you can cure the problem,as some sugjest by running 3/4 throttle,or as some sugjest,buy a smaller boat with a 60 on it,the fact remains the z7 has fundamental top end handling problems,the next thing you may hear is that you dont know how to drive your boat,ive been told that too,but Ive had three other hp bass boats,not a problem like we have with the z7,its just the way it is,so run it about 3/4 throttle,it does burn less fuel in that range.

Not sure about that. I drive mine up to 70 regularly with no problems with chine until about 65-68mph. I won't question your driving, but may question your setup. I am willing to bet the motor is too low or something. I would start there.

Dchance is right. I don't know what you guys are expecting from a 150. My boat has a 150 and does 62mph no problems unless I trim up to much. Like toxic said got to find that sweet spot. Not just starting to perform at 60mph that's all you get with 150hp

Many times performance problems comes down to the prop. It is more important than you think. Most props from all manufactures need to be checked. They need to be blueprinted and balanced. You don't put tires on your rig without balancing them, do you? Anytime you're running a boat above 60 mph, many things come into play, for instance; weight distribution of gear; fuel in two tanks; motor height; the type of prop; or possible hull defects. One of the man problems is driver seat experience. I've got 30 years of seat time and I'll tell you that any boat under 19 ft. is always a hand full.

I think what Kelly is after is prbably someone with a Z7 and 150hp that runs good to come back and say to him, I have this prop, this motor height, this set back etc and it works or it doesn't.

All the feed back above is so true, so many factors make all the difference and there's nothing like trial and error to finally "tune" your own rig.

The option maybe is to talk to your local dealer and hope somewhere there has strong experience in high speed bass boats, maybe have to slip him a buck or 2 to meet you at the lake, have a run then give you his opinion or let him play with the set up.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

I have a 2013 Z7 I bought at Bass pro in Springfield MO. While I was breaking it in I was not impressed at all with the way it handled. Now that I have it broke in and run it how I want to, I wouldnt trade it for any boat out there. I have the 150 optimax pro 150 xs, and with just me in the boat with the livewells empty I can run 65.With livewells full and a buddy in the boat, it tops out at 60. Its the factory setup I havent changed anything.I'd say you just need to get it out out and play with it until you find what works.

my 150 pro xs is mounted in the thired hole from the top,what hole is yours mounted in,bass pro shop in orlando had mine mounted in the 2nd hole frm the top,third is much better,wondering if 4th hole from the top might be the ticket

I agree with what the previous guys are saying, i'm just going to throw something else out to you. I have a Z-9 that i did not buy from Bass Pro, I bought it from another dealer. It wasn't finished very good, the transducers weren't tightened up the trolling motor pedal only had one screw halfway in it, anyway it kept becoming harder and harder o drive and kept getting slower and slower. The boat was only three months old and i was in a tournament with it, all through the day it became hard to shift to neutral and when you did get it to shift it would rev itself up and i just had to turn the key off to make it stop revving, got it back home and looked at it, and the hot foot stop bolt had backed out almost 2" where it had never been tight in the first place. The linkage plate on the port side of you opti should roll all the way over at full throttle and have a 1/8" of play at the top. It really made my boat hard to drive and never noticed losing RPM's, cause i couldn't power the boat into that sweet spot

Latest posts

Back