Check your local Wal-Mart

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
I stopped by the local Wal-Mart for a can of fan belt dressing, and came out with about $100 worth of tackle. Why, you ask? Because they were giving the stuff away at pennies on the dollar.

Seriously, if you have a Wal-Mart nearby, check to see if they are clearing out last year's stock. Renegade crankbaits were $1 each, fishing line (Rapala, Shakespeare, Spiderline Mono, Stren) was about 50% off, some of the rods and reels were marked down as much as 75%.

Walmart sells a fishing line called...USA1...made by Shakespere, I have used this line now for two years in 17 lb test and let me tell you this is the toughest monofilament line I have ever used. I used to swear by trilene xl but I got tired of the cost of replacing it for every tournament. USA 1 line is not only really tough line it cast well and is very cost efficient, especially if you like to have fresh line on your reels for each tournament. A fellow club member(who just happened to win the Angler of the year award on our club for the last 2 years running) uses this line exclusively. You do not want to try to break this line with your hands ...you will cut yourself, it is that tough to break. Give this line a try.I did some research and this is the same as Shakespere Sigma, Wal Mart just wanted their own label on it.

Those renegade baits are nice,.....and to get them for a buck each...that's a heck of a deal!!! They had the same sale last year too....there's a wallyworld 2mi's from my work place and i stop in on occasion at lunch. They have them in a pile 2ft high in one of those 2man plastic pond boats!! I'll probably go get a dozen or so ( mostly jerkbaits) and just replace the hooks with good Mustad's, but for a buck apiece, they're hard to beat!!

I used to manage the sporting goods dept of the local Wal-Mart years ago, and that is the way to do it. Every Jan-Feb, they do their annual changes and you will get old stock for under cost. I missed a Proteam Daiwa Baitcaster and also spinning reels yesterday. They were normally $100 each and were sold for $10!!!!! AHHHHH! Definately the way to go! A lot of my gear was purchased that way! Plus you still get the warranty!

Line is the most critical thing on your rig. The USA is by shakespear, and IMHO, they have always been inferior. They are price point company selling to chain stores and weekend anglers that fish 2-3 times a year. Stick with Berkly or Stren and you'll be just fine!

I work at WAL-MART and this is all true alot of fishing is marked down.But cheak all the stores u can eack store will set their own mark downs some may mark it down 20% or some may mark it down 75% and some may just toss it all in the trash.Man dose that hurt, seen it done if it dose not sell out it will go.No they will not give me any of it.My store did the 20% thing that sucks but was ask if i would take it all far $600.OO more then one man could ever use or wife would let have.So if u want alot of ask u might get a better deal.What has happen is it is what is not no longer going to be sold and needs to get rid of it

MuskyMan, I got Gamagatsu's for 50 cents a pack, alas there were only a few left. But they had plenty of Mustad, too, for the same money. Unbelievable deals.

Rob, although Shakespeare's name is on the spool, I question if it was actually made by them. I don't know if they have any line manufacturing business. There is a good chance it came from somebody else's plant.

in resopnse to bassbuster87: I do not use the 12lb test USA 1 line, I use the 17lb test line. We have a member in our club that insists on using 12lb trilene xl and he continues to break off fish also. If you are catching big bass and you are not using line heavier than 12 lb test, then you need to re-asses your thinking. I would never use anything lighter than the 17lb line that I use no matter what brand it is. Sorry.

Also there are so many other reasons that the line could have snapped i.e., too much rod for the line, a nick in the line, weakened line because burning the line when tying the knot...etc. Not to point any fingers at bassbuster but I and my friend have caught too many fish on this line and BIG fish too that I can't believe it was simply the lines fault he lost his fish.

All I was doing was trying to pass along some info about a great experience I have had with this line so that people interested in trying a more affordable line can judge for themselves.

thank you

scott g -

Ability to type and spell are not required to post here.....

Typing and spelling have nothing to do with your ability to contribute and participate.......

And they definately have nothing to do with the quality of person you are!

me!

.......unless you're Rich Stern; we hold him to MUCH higher standards!