Changed PT185 aerator pump

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl S

Reaction score
Well, the day I regreted to ever see came upon me yesterday. The aerator pump kept blowing fuses. The problem was a locked-up pump due to debris. I must say thanks to all those that had posted on changing their aerator pumps on PT175's or 185's. The information that I gained from searching this sight made the job easier because I now learned how it came apart.

All I got to say is that they must not have had "drug testing" back in 99 when this boat was engineered and assembled. I never seen such as disaster for accessabilty. It is true, you need to be a contortionist and have skin like leather. I am so cut up, bruised and with a sore back to boot. It is just plain p-poor engineering on Tracker's part. I would love to see the design engineer try to change one of these.

TEE, I took your advice from a your past post and replaced the pump with the quick disconnect bayonet mount. I can now have the pump cartridge out to clean or service in no time at all and I will not look like I was in a cat fight.

I also relocated the bilge pump which also was buried in there. It now rests next to the 90 deg. water inlet fitting for the aerator pump. I dont know if this is good or bad, because the pump does sit higher now. However, future servicability will be a piece of cake. I am fortunate that this boat takes on very little water for being riveted.

Again thanks to all that posted and suffered previously on this issue.. Carl

Here's another tip that I've just learned recently.:wacko:

Get a screen cover over the intake/drain and eliminate the debris from being sucked in.

I bought mine at the local marina that screwed right into the threaded plastic.

Latest posts

Back